Author Topic: COMPLETED Date needed for Aussie photo please  (Read 2545 times)

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Re: Date needed for Aussie photo please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 05:26 GMT (UK) »
The black band....ladies did not wear an armband. They still don't.

A lady would wear varying degrees of mourning attire beginning with total black including, in some cases, black underwear and bedding. This could pose a considerable nuisance especially in England, as the dyes used (from inedible plums) were not colourfast and if damp the clothing could stain anything it touched. The only non-black item of apparel was usually a white hankie, and perhaps a strip of cloth on the hem of the skirt to avoid leaching the dye out of a wet hem.

The secondary phase of mourning was mostly black, with some items of purple substituted. After two years (actually various time periods depending on the relationship to the departed), normal colours were again permitted.

Gentlemen wore black in everyday life, so a black armband and later, a hatband, were customarily worn.

Ladies did not wear armbands, ever. I think the dark strip on this lady's dress was just part of the outfit.

But as it's not a colour photo, we'll never know. It could be any dark colour. We see this often on the photo board...the lady's wearing a black dress, is she in mourning? Well, how do we know it's black? :)

I don't think it's mourning.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 05:41 GMT (UK) »
China, thank you for the detailed info, I'm glad I thought to ask :)

Branxholme was over run with Bests' at one time Ted, but no longer.  Thanks also for your thoughts.

Mo
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 06:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks China,

I have just come back from being a mum's Taxi and did think while I was gone that the only time I ever wore a black armband in mourning was when required to be in Scout uniform, and was wondering where and when this tradition came in to being.

Modified to add I am a female Scout Leader

Mo,

I've to Blanxholme a few times. Its such a tiny little place these days.

:), Ted
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 06:56 GMT (UK) »
"Female"...I get it, I get it ;D

I think the black armband started as military etiquette...a military man could not be out of uniform, of course. It's still a military tradition. I think that's where it came from.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 07:01 GMT (UK) »
AFl football players use them a lot I've noticed.

Still think the girl on the right is visiting. She's so different from the rest

Cheers Ted
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 07:22 GMT (UK) »
I've had a really good look at this photo, and I think she looks different from the other women because we can see more of her.

There are elements of her outfit spread among the other women...one other has the same hairstyle, half the women are wearing light-coloured clothing, two others are wearing similar lace at the neckline, and all the women are wearing a high collar. The way the people are bunched together makes it hard to see what everybody else is wearing...they may all have a bustle and a hat, but we can't see them.....

Lots of huge fans! I wonder if they did any good... :P

Still, she may be a visitor, we'll never know. Fun to analyse the photo, though, isn't it :D

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 07:35 GMT (UK) »
It's a fantastic photograph. What I love about it is the eyes on the characters. Take a look at them yourself you can soon work out who is related by looking at the eyes.
There are a number of male and females that have the distictive sunken dark eyes.

Brill picture I would also hazard a guess at 1860-1880's.
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 01:46 GMT (UK) »
If the day the photo was taken was as hot as today (and I'm about a half hours drive from Branxholme) those fans would have done no good at all  :P :P

My Mum made the comment about the sunken eyes being a trait in that family too.  Her grandmother Cassie and great grandmother Mary Ann (grand daughter and daughter of Thomas) had the same. 

They should be in the photo too I think because they were living in Branxholme at the time but I can't find them.  Have attached photos of Cassie and siblings from about 1880 (Cassie born 1874, Ethel 1872 and Tom 1876) and Mary Ann (born 1845), Cassie and Ethel from ? (sisters look to be teenagers).  Mary Ann went grey young.   

All the lovely comments about the original photo have made me realise just how blessed I am to have it, even if I don't know who many of them are.

Mo
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 09:12 GMT (UK) »
One other think I did notice is that many of the women are sporting pretty fans. Also the children in your of Casey, Ethel and Tom the girls seem to be sporting oriental sashes. I wonder if they spent time in the orient.
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives