Author Topic: South Africa to Bilston  (Read 34699 times)

Offline peep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SOUTH AFRICA TO BILSTON!
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 12 August 06 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Marion. George Thomas had a son Robert and on the !8th July 1905 he married my great aunt Ida Constance Bowen In St Leonards church Bilston England. You can view that church at www. genuki bilston. For enquiries in South Africa look a Rutti Tuttis post above Bilston to South Africa and go to National Archives gov.za. On that sight there is loads of info on the hesom family. They really were pioneers. I havent so far been able to find a brother for George Thomas. Hesom is an unusual name in the uk and they all appear to come from Warwickshre. On the marriage record G.T is listed as a gentleman.

Offline Marion Johansson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 12 August 06 15:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I will have a look.
My grandfather was George Plummer Cyril Hesom, his father was George Thomas Hesom, and his father was George Thomas Hesom. I think that is what my mom said - which one is then Robert's brother? It sounds as though it was my grandfathers fathers brother. My grandfather was born 1898 in SA his father must then have been born at least 25 years before, he being the oldest. That would put it at 1873. So The GT senior was born in 1843. Yes the name is unusual. The name has died out on our branch there are no more men. All the offspring were girls. I have often wondered if they came down from Vikings, I live up Denmark and there is a place called Husum here .My grandad was very tall and blond a real Kirk Douglas/Spencer Tracey look alike, only better looking!!!!! There are also German Hesom's, I found one in Northern Germany.

Offline SW19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 August 06 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Marion, Peep and Rosie – It is interesting for me to hear from others of the Hesom line. My grandfather was Vaughan Hesom and he lived in Dundee (Northern Natal) where he had a farm. There are still Hesoms farming in the area. We have a family tree going back many generations which I don’t have with me in London but I’ll ask my dad in Durban for it. I can never remember which of the two brothers I am descended from. The person who has the most knowledge of how the Hesoms fit together is my uncle, Sandy Hesom, who lives in Northern KwaZulu Natal. Regards, John.

Offline peep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: South Africa to Bilston
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi folks. Have just been recapping, and noticed that Rosi was mentioning the Wade line. On sept 28th 1841 George Hesom married Elizabeth Wade in St Andrews church Rugby. On that same day a George Hesom was baptised and only the name of his mother is given. I have also found Robert Hesom with same parents baptised in same  area on 7th dec 1845. I presume that these are the two brothers that were sent to their mothers relatives ( the Wade family) out in SA. Peep.

Offline Marion Johansson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am now really confused, Peep -would mean that my great great grandfather George Thomas was baptised and at that time his mother had died or was no more and his dad married a Wade, am I right? That means that they were sent out to the Wades- as family- I never knew what the connection was. I wonder what his deceased mom's name was. We always thought his mom had sent them out. Gosh how extraordinary. He was a real go- getter he left an awful lot of money to his son, which was frittered away and he died a pauper. My grandfather ended up putting his brothers through an education, after he came back from WW1.

Offline peep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 15:32 BST (UK) »
 Hi Marion.Have sent you a personal message. Peep.

Offline peep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 17 August 06 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi again. I misread my notes! G T Hesom was born 1843! I have found him and Robert on the Nile steamship leaving London and arrving Port Natal  Sept 1850 Also on this boat. Mrs Alice Wade,J B Wade, Jos Wade.M Wade, W Wade, Wm Wade. On 26th apr1850 John Wade, carpenter, wife Charlotte sons John B, Henry B left London on the Minerva arriving at Port Natal 3rd Jul. Prior to this John Wade farm servant wife Elizabeth, dr Eliza Mary left London 18th  Apr1849 arr P Nat18th Jul. James Arbuthnot,w Jane, Children William T, McDuff,Eva, Hubert, arrived in Natal 19th Sept 1850

Offline Marion Johansson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 17 August 06 20:33 BST (UK) »
My mom is really interested in the story. She had to swallow hard after the one with the marriage and baptism at the same time! There was a moment of silence and then a wry comment. My admiration on the other hand has risen. They were really pioneers. In more than one way or other!

Offline peep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 17 August 06 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Marion. This is a good sight. National Archives Of South Africa. Put Hesom in on each sight, and see what comes up. This G.T Hesom, and indeed Robert were real pioneers. Regards Peep.