Author Topic: Marriage 1871 to 1879  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Jazgran

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage 1871 to 1879
« on: Wednesday 03 February 10 12:26 GMT (UK) »
How can I find a marriage between John Pickersgill and Mary Orange during this period of time.
It was probably in Leeds but cannot find any record of it in Yorkshire BMD, or even Free BMD.  Is there any other way of tracing it?  (They could have been in another part of the country, eg London, on their way to a ship to South Africa).   Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage 1871 to 1879
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 14:59 GMT (UK) »
If you put some dates for John & Mary you might get some more information from other on here who love a mystery.
Date/Year of Birth
Have you found either of them on any census returns & if so who with ie parents.

The more info you provide the better :)
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline Jazgran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Plummie girl.    The only information I have on their early lives is:

John Pickersgill, born 1855 in Yorkshire.  Listed on 1861 and 1871 Census.
Mary Jane Pickersgill, nee Orange, born 1852.  Listed in 1861 census

They must have married during the period 1871 to 1879, as they went to live in South Africa and their first child was born there in 1879. 
If anyone can find a record of their marriage, I would be very grateful.

Offline amber39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 16:02 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage of Mary Jane Orange in 1887 (2) in Castle Ward  Northumberland    10b  397.

Unfortunately I have so far been unable to find who she married as no name was given.

Regards  Amber39
Norfolk: Copling,Coppen ,Oakley, Vertigans, Cracknell
Suffolk:  Grist, Scopes, Bullenthorpe. Knights,Watcham
Cambs.: Wilson, Andrews.
London: Monk

We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, but more in the light of what they suffer.  Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Do you think there would be any possibility of them marrying in South Africa?

I noticed that Mary Jane Pickersgill nee Orange is back in Yorkshire in 1891 with her parents - Class: RG12; Piece: 3663; Folio 34; Page 22; GSU roll: 6098773 - with 3 Pickersgill children all of whom were born in Cape Town.  She is recorded as married but her husband isn't there.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Jazgran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks amber39 and Luzzu for your replies.
Amber 39 -  I don't think this is our Mary Jane, 1887 is too late.
Luzzu - Yes, I had wondered about them marrying in SA.  But have seen 2 Passport applications  in the name of Pickersgill so possibly they were already married when applying.
Yes that is the family back in Leeds in 1891 Census.  Mary returned with the children in 1882.  John did not return to UK, he died in Cape Town in 1897.
Once again thanks for your efforts.    Jazgran.