Author Topic: Logan family - East Lothian  (Read 11639 times)

Offline Magian

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Logan family - East Lothian
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 February 10 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Monica and Hume

Sorry there was a typo - James signed up for the army on 24/1/1843. In 1841 census the place of birth doesn't fit in. Every document I hold states James is from Govan or Renfrewshire. The other thing is I have the official documents of James' service - he didn't sign up until 1843.

1783 Seargent James Logan is his roll number - not a date - sorry for confusion.

I have no idea if James and Margaret Somerville had any other children.

David Logan & Helen Bryson's daughter Margaret does have a long name. I have been able to go further back on the maternal side and find no connection to Allan or Wood. It's interesting to note though that Helen's father and grandfather were called James as was David's father yet they never called any of their sons James!

Although James was born in Govan there is no evidence to say he was married there (if at all).
According to a history of the Gordon Highlanders that I found on the Internet, the service companies were in Glasgow 1844 - June 45, thereafter in Edinburgh until April 1846 when it removed to Ireland until March 1851 when it removed to the Ionian Islands. This means James was away in Ireland when Margaret gave birth to David. Perhaps saying with his parents? It also raises the question was he conceived in Ireland and was she Irish? I tried to find out about the Irish connection but the army didn't record marriages at the point.

With 12 years 53 days were served abroad - I'd be surprised if the had the opportunity for more children!

Correct with David Logan - also a tailor. His marriage certificate of 1868 gives his parents names - it doesn't say they are deceased. All David and Helen's children were born in East Lothian.

It really is very confusing  :(

Magian

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 February 10 11:34 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 census entry Monica posted would fit age wise and birthplace (it only says Scotland, so anywhere out of Invernesshire) but if James did only sign up in 1843, he should be on the 1841 census as a tailor (or similar).

I can see only one approximately matching the age given on his papers. James Logan, 15, tailor app[rentice], b. outside county in S. Main Street, Rosskeen, Ross & Cromarty. There is another; James, b. c. 1829, taylor [sic] with parents? Robert and Mary in Eastwood, Renfrew but the age is out a bit more.

Not sure what other records could be checked. I take it you have tried looking for a James Logan death record, b. c. 1825 and d. between 1863 and 1912-ish? In all counties, just in case his intentions of moving to Edinburgh didn't come to fruition.

hume :)

Offline Magian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 February 10 14:16 GMT (UK) »
The official army papers say he joined 1843 and this ties in with his 21 years in service, resigning in 1864.

I have also tried to find a death cert anywhere in Scotland for James but with no luck. I'm afraid I've hit a brick wall.

You can see how I I have remained stumped afters several years of research!

Thanks for yoyur help
Magian

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 11 February 10 14:24 GMT (UK) »
 :'( We certainly do!

Just spent another little while this afternoon on censuses etc....and nothing more that the possible clues found so far  :-\
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Magian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 11 February 10 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica
You've been a great help though
Magian

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 12 February 10 14:21 GMT (UK) »
:'( Stumped indeed. The family are so tricky and even though you've went to different sources (such as army records, which are not always available) it still hasn't brought anything to light. I'm afraid it may not ever be solved but you never know ... one day you might come across something by chance and there they are. Here's hoping!

hume :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 12 February 10 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Magian, I think you said in another of your posts that you are based in Edinburgh. Have you tried sitting at NRH for a day going through all the James Logan marriages (in case James Snr. remarried) and deaths to see if anything may shine out at you?!

Monica

Offline Magian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 12 February 10 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Monica
I have been to GRO many times & was in the very fortunate position of having a good friend who worked there who tried every angle for me.

As Hume says, he may well turn up one day. Perhaps one of David's offspring are also tracing the family. I live in hope.

Many thanks
Magian

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 12 February 10 16:10 GMT (UK) »
If you have already tried this avenue to follow though on James post his discharge, where now  ???

As you say, fingers crossed and hope something may be found!

Monica