Author Topic: Logan family - East Lothian  (Read 11632 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Logan family - East Lothian
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louise and Hume  :)

From the discharge papers you have for James Snr, David's father, what do you estimate his birth year to have been as quite often age at discharge year is given. Is there a birth place showing for James in his attestation/ discharge papers? I've been having a look on the TNA but can't see a reference to a James Logan/92nd Gordon Highlanders (but I am rubbish at searching on line for military records at TNA  :P).

There is this entry in 1851 - children showing as born in Paisley:

James Logan 61, Pensioner Chelsea b. Glasgow
Jean Logan 40 b. Ireland
Charlet Logan 10
James Logan 7
David Logan 3
Mary Logan 4 Months

Address: 11 Millerston, Paisley Abbey

I know it doesn't show mother as Margaret, but thought I would post just in case. What were then names of Helen Bryson's parents?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louise and Monica,

I had that census entry on note, Monica, after Louise mentioned the army connection. Seems possible.

Charlotte (or Charlet as she's noted on the census) married a Thomas McCorkle (or McCorkindale) in 1866, Paisley. She gives her parents as James Logan, engineer (dec.) and Jane Logan m.s. Bolton (also dec.). Witnesses appear to be an Eliz. McCorkle and William McIrvine.

Marriage shows for James Logan and Jean Bolton on the 22nd February 1836 in Paisley. No children showing on the IGI - going to check SP. :-\

hume

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hard one this one  :-\ You seem to have convered all the bases Hume with possible entries for David in 1861 and can't see David and Helen after their marriage as yet in the 1871 census....

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 16:52 GMT (UK) »
I meant to also add that the children from this household seem to be all spread about in 1861 so likely parents had died by now?

Louise, one thing to bear in my mind, is that although David's father didn't show as deceased at the time of his marriage to Helen, this is not always accurate  :-\

Monica

Offline Magian

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys

David and Helen were married in Edinburgh 28/9/1868 and moved down to Dirleton, East Lothian. Their first child Margaret Allan Wood Logan was born 15/8/1969  - they may have been c/o her parents but he was a journeyman tailor. On 26/9/1871 their son James arrived (named after both grandfathers?).

It is interesting to note that when David died in 1912, his son Thomas was the informant on the certificate and he left out David's mother's name. This all make the story more intriguing!

Magian

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Was Helen's mother also called Margaret? Just looking at a possible 1851 census entry for her. If so, what was her maiden name?

Anything on James Logan's details from TNA?

Monica

Offline Magian

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Monica
Yes, Helen's mother was called Margaret too - no suggestion of any middle name. I have the family in the 1861 census in North Berwick (James, Margaret & their 2 children Helen 13 & William 6). This means Margaret would have been 23 at the 1871 census. At that time Margaret was married to David and living at 13 Potterrow, Edinburgh. He was away at the time of the census.

Now that I am home, I've been able to look up James Logan's service record.
James Logan was born in the parish of Govan, near the town of Govan in the County of Renfrew. He attested for the Regiment in Glasgow on 24 January 1873 aged 17 years 9 months.  He was a tailor to trade. 1783 Sergeant James Logan was discharged on 2 May 1864 after 21years and 9 days service aged 39 years and 1 month.
12 years 53 days were served abroad.
Ionian Islands 2.18 years
Gibraltar 4.61 years
Crimea 263 days
East India 5.26 years
These dates suggest he was born April 1825 in Govan

Whew... I hope this is of some interest/help :)

Magian

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Some of your dates are a bit out here but I think I get the overall detail.

Have you seen this 1841 entry:

James Logan, 15, 92nd Regt Private Soldier, b. Scotland in Ardersier, Invernesshire. A large list of soldiers showing on the listing. Most showing aged 15 (remember in the 1841 census, ages were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 yrs for everyone over 15 yrs old).

A lot of overseas service for James Logan, I wonder of some of his children were born abroad?

Regarding Helen, I was just wondering about the middle names of Allan and Wood for David and Helen's first born daughter and whether they connected to Helen's mother Margaret's maiden name?

Monica

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Just to summarise (for my own benefit mostly!! :-[) ...

James LOGAN, b. c. 1825?? Govan married?? Margaret SOMERVILLE, had at least 1 child:

David LOGAN, b. c. 1847 in Paisley married Helen BRYSON 1868 Edinburgh

James possibly not in censuses until after 1864 and not described as deceased on David's m.c.?? Although, as Monica says, the latter does not suggest he wasn't. :-\

James was a tailor (army records)/92nd Gordon Highlander(army/m.c.)/weaver (d.c.).

They are certainly not an easy family to trace but the army connection could have caused them to be out of the country at certain points/different birthplaces.

A confused hume ???