Author Topic: Bernard Irons/Katherine Doorley  (Read 6217 times)

Offline ZKT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bernard Irons/Katherine Doorley
« on: Wednesday 03 February 10 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Need help sorting out my ancestors history.

I have been to Kew and found the following info.
Bernard Irons 1 - joined 66th Foot aged13 in1809 he was from Aweston,Offlay  County of Kings Ireland.
Discharged May 1814 aged 19 following injury at Battle in Spain on 21 June 1813. Then loose track of him

Bernard Irons 2 In 41st Foot Recruiting Sergt. Found him in Muster Rolls from Dec 1816 to July 1822. Could this be the same Bernard Irons?
This Bernard was stationed in England recruiting in1816, then Dublin. In 1817 he was stationed in Wicklow, in 1818-1820 he was in Londonderry. In 1820 we was in Glasgow and 1821 at Fort George In Scotland.  He had twins born on 13th April 1821 in Scotland. (Bernard and Katherine junior) His wife's named as Katherine Doorley (Dawley) The 1861 census has her born is 1795 at Balawak, Kow Ireland> I am sure that this place is spelt wrongly. It is probably Bally...something

Bernard 2 is definitely my ancestor but could Bernard 1 and 2 be the same person?
How can I find out where Bernard 2 was born/married. When he was discharged and what happened to him? I think he was still alive when his daughter married in Cheshire in 1845.
Any ideas or Info on Katherine Doorley (Dawley)history also gratefully received.
Wadkins (Middlesex), Hankin (Midldlesex) Clews (Cheshire), Walters (Cumberland) Irons (Ireland) Doorley(Dawley) Ireland,
Fletcher (Cheshire/Lancashire) King (Newark Notts) Pickering (Cheshire)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bernard Irons/Katherine Doorley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Duplicate post on Armed Forces board-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,435086.msg2990977.html#msg2990977

To avoid duplicating what's already been searched for and discussed please see these other topics:

Earlier thread discussing 'Aweston'-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,212156.msg1105028.html#msg1105028

Another thread for Bernard and Katherine-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,211918.msg1104567.html#msg1104567

Thread on tracing soldier Bernard Irons-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,213039.msg1102772.html#msg1102772

Thread on Katherine's birthplace-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,210190.msg1102753.html#msg1102753

Post on Fort George Scotland-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=41396;sa=showPosts;start=30
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Bernard Irons/Katherine Doorley
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 18:42 GMT (UK) »
...from Aweston,Offlay  County of Kings Ireland.

.... His wife's named as Katherine Doorley (Dawley) The 1861 census has her born is 1795 at Balawak, Kow Ireland. I am sure that this place is spelt wrongly. It is probably Bally...something...

How can I find out where Bernard 2 was born/married. When he was discharged and what happened to him?

do you have the details for Catherine on the 1861 census (location, household names etc) ?   someone maybe be to offer an alternative interpretation of the place of birth.

You could check the townland database at www.thecore.com/seanruad for placename that could fit 'Aweston' or 'Balawak, Kow'.  Do you have a scan of the second place name  ?

Nether placename rings any bells with me - and the only possible mis-hearing or mis-transcription I can think of is for the second name - Ballymacaw, Co. Waterford... e.g. if the 'w' was really an 'm'

To find details on Bernard's birth you will first need to know his religion, where he was born - i.e. town, townland or parish, and then establish if any church records for the 1790s survive for that parish.

I would have thought that his military records would be the best place to find his date of discharge.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests