Author Topic: Suitable Graphics Card  (Read 2718 times)

Offline VICTORIA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • AT SPES INFRACTA
    • View Profile
Suitable Graphics Card
« on: Thursday 17 March 05 17:36 GMT (UK) »
I have posted message before Re: this problem. I have a Dell Dimension 2350 Series pc. The video connector at back which is attached to motherboard was pulled off leaving "X3 rows of 5 prongs in situ. I was told that my best bet was to get a graphics card. This will enable me to plug in lead which connects up to monitor.My grandson says I need a PCI He says my system does not support AGP. ( haven`t a clue what this means) Anyway would someone tell me which graphics card would be suitable please.
Victoria
COLBECK,WHITEHAVEN CUMBERLAND
COLEBECK,HOPE,MILLER,LIVERPOOL
SCHAMBERG,MEMMEL PRUSSIA
ROCHE,ROACH,MAHER,FOY IRELAND
SANDFORD.TYNAN, LIVERPOOL.
HUBBARD,TAYLOR KENT.
HOPE NORTHUMBERLAND
SANDFORD NEWCASTLE/UPON/TYNE.

LANCASTER,GOWLAND,NORTHUMBERLAND
FOY, ROSCOMMON IRELAND,LIVERPOOL.
SMITH,HAMPSHIRE, & LIVERPOOL
SEALES SURREY CRADDOCK,HAMPSHIRE

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Suitable Graphics Card
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 March 05 17:45 GMT (UK) »
If you have a look at (amongst others) www.dealtime.co.uk and search for pci graphics cards it turns up 494 suitable items.

The prices vary from £22 to a lot more ..... what you spend depends on what you want from the card,obviously the higher specification cards (and pricier) will perform a lot better.

eg    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

or The Pine SiS 305 32MB PCI Video card for your quality graphics experience. This PCI card embodies high integration and features rich 3D graphics and video acceleration with DVD/VCD playback abilities, which make it the best buy for gaming and video.

which at £17 is one of the cheapest options.

but check with the sales person that it is suitable for your machine.

Offline petere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 March 05 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Victoria,
I have two old computers - about 1998/99.
Both of these have motherboards that have AGP slots for a graphics card. Unless your computer is even older than mine I would be surprised if it did not support AGP. Computers with AGP slots also have PCI slots but the AGP slot is the best for a graphics card. If your computer is very very new then the latest graphics card is PCI Express.
I should speak to Dell to find out whether you have an AGP slot or even easier take off the computer cover (I presume it is a desktop) and look at the motherboard. There will be 3 or 4 white PCI slots and if there is AGP it will be one brown slot alongside the PCI slots.

Hope this helps 
Regards    --    Peter

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 05 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Victoria's computer is a Dell which used an Intel video chipset on the motherboard,there is no AGP slot on this board..... which is actually quite common on this type of board.

Offline VICTORIA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • AT SPES INFRACTA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 March 05 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for advice. At present I am using my daughters laptop. I cannot use my Dell pc because of problem with broken video connector. All I need graphics card for is to be able to insert lead from monitor, I have been told this will perform same function as broken video connector??I am going to computer fair tomorrow to get graphics card, dont want to buy one if it will not solve problem with video connector.
Victoria ???
SCHAMBERG,MEMMEL PRUSSIA
HUBBARD,TAYLOR KENT.
HOPE NORTHUMBERLAND

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
  • I am ready for something...but I don't know what!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 April 05 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Victoria
how did you get on with your Dell?

You need a PCI type graphics card which is all but obsolete now. PCI simply describes the type of slot (white) that the card plugs in on your motherboard.

They are still available if you know where to look. They are usually combined with a video capture card or a TV tuner

You can buy one cheaply here:
www.ebuyer.com

suggest you go for the £16.00 one which comes in a retail box with the CD disk with drivers on.
If you need help installing the card and drivers please feel free to pm me
Whitchurch, Westminster / Buckinghamshire
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London
Lawlor, Widnes Lancashire
Hagan   Widnes Lancashire

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop

Offline VICTORIA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • AT SPES INFRACTA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 April 05 07:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick,
I went to pc world. I got a Verto 2d/3d graphics card dual vga and tv -out. GeForce FX. 5200 PCI 128mb DDR
( Iv`e copied this from box) My grandson installed it but pc still not working. I`m afraid it`s probably the motherboard. I`ve decided to invest in a new pc. The only problem is everywhere I`ve looked you can only buy in a package. I only want ? the tower? Can you recommend a site were I can get reasonably priced one and one that will accept the graphics card ( it wasn`t cheap)
Victoria ???
SCHAMBERG,MEMMEL PRUSSIA
HUBBARD,TAYLOR KENT.
HOPE NORTHUMBERLAND

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
  • I am ready for something...but I don't know what!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 April 05 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Victoria
if you or your grandson telephones me I may be able to  explain how to set up your new graphics card. There is a change in settings required and drivers need to be installed possibly old ones removed. It does need to be done by a technician or at least someone experienced in doing this.
The same goes for a new `barebones system' There will be several hours of work required to build and configure a new system. The time is mostly taken up by re-installing all the everyday programs you use on the hard drive.

If you `pm' personal message me we can discuss in private and I can help with some advice and suggestions . On the open forum we will invite lots of helpful advice but it will end up a 10 way communication  ??? :o :)
Just click on the green icon under my name and you can send me a personal message
Whitchurch, Westminster / Buckinghamshire
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London
Lawlor, Widnes Lancashire
Hagan   Widnes Lancashire

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 April 05 19:54 BST (UK) »
Victoria,

I mentioned it before on the older thread, but it may well be worth somebody just soldering a new svga socket to replace the damaged one on your computer. It would only take a few  minutes. It's cheaper than buying a new PC.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.