Author Topic: Identify picture  (Read 18437 times)

Offline quiltlady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Identify picture
« on: Monday 01 February 10 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone  identify this couple.  The girl  was born Eva Dottle, but was  sent to live with a host family to help her escape the Germans.  She made it to England and married a British soldier.  We do not have her  adoptive name or his name.  No record of anyone with her birth name entering England in the years 1939 to 1945. She apparently kept her adoptive name. No record of her birth parents. The photo was taken in the London area about 1940-1943. 
Thanks

Offline quiltlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
photograph
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 February 10 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Moderator comment: threads merged to prevent duplication

I have already posted a photo with no results.   Chances are that few  from the 1940's  looks at RootsChat.  Has anyone ever posted an old  photograph in one of the English newspapers ?  Is this  possible or not a good idea, or don't the papers do this type of  search, sort of like a lost and  found  activity.    People do like to keep their identity private, but perhaps this  person doesn't know  she has family  members looking for her.  If  she chooses not to respond, that's understandable, we just want her to know she has family that cares about her.

Suggestions welcome--thank you.

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: photograph
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 February 10 12:21 GMT (UK) »

Hi quiltlady,

Welcome to RootsChat !  :)

What a shame this is your third post and your first reply. Harsh as it may sound to you, it's against the policy of RootsChat to post details of people who may possibly still be alive. These links should explain :

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,142443.0.html

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,261434.0.html

The chance of someone finding the picture is possible, but only providing they search the name you've previously supplied. People search by using the written word and are then alerted to a post on this site.

Hope this makes sense and good luck !!

Kindest regards,

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Identify picture
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 February 10 12:44 GMT (UK) »
as been mentioned on your other post slightly hard when dealing with possible living people,
you need to find out what do you know about that photo?
and work backwards from that, if nothing? then as you mention the best option would probably be to contact the local paper pretty sure if your in the right area then someone will know know someone etc

Maybe start looking at the country she came from, sorry not a lot else thats probably helpful
good luck

Offline davidrigg3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Researching for my partner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 February 10 13:15 GMT (UK) »
The Daily Mail has a Lost and Found piece on a Saturday, it's usually in the Coffee Break section along with the crosswords and cartoons. I think it may be a person that takes on searches for members of the public and the Mail pick one to feature.

There is an email address so might be worth the price of a newspaper to find out what it's all about!
Rigg/Scholfield - Oldham/Rochdale
Hibbert/Moore - Hayfield/Saddleworth
Garstang/Kirby - Littleborough/Todmorden
Sutcliffe/Hill - Todmorden/Walsden
Young/Stevenson/Newbutt - Ticknall/Kegworth/Nutall/Hucknall/Bulwell
Woolley/Potter, Gaze/Parkins - Kegworth/Normanton-on-Soar/Wheathampstead/Harpenden
Smith/Green - Offley/Flamstead

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 February 10 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi quiltedlady  :)

Welcome to Rootschat from me too.

It might help us to help you if you can tell us how you  know that this is a photo of the person you say it is.  Did she send it to someone that you know/knew?  Does it have anything written on the back?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline quiltlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 February 10 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes- she signed the back of the photo - To My Dear Aunt From Eva and Husband--I was in contact with the Aunt 's daughter and  she is the one who sent me the picture.  She remembered when her mother received  the picture back in the 1940's.   We know the picture was taken  at the Bennett Studio in a section of London, we have researched it . Not knowing the brides new adoptive  surname   nor the groom's name makes it doubly difficult.  We have searched all of the English Government records  as well as the Army records.  No luck without a name.  The only search that could be mounted was by the Bride's first name.  That would be a real stretch.

Our last hope is posting it on RootsChat.  Maybe someone will recognize the picture.  We have not  been able to find any records of her birth parents.   We know they were killed during the war.

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 February 10 18:07 GMT (UK) »

This might sound daft, but to me the dress/outfit has an almost American feel to it - I wonder if old rowley or someone might be able to help ??

Will send him the link to this thread, no harm in asking.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 February 10 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi quiltedlady,

Sorry, I don't have anything substantial to offer.  You haven't mentioned which part of London the Bennet Studio is but you could narrow the marriages down by using FreeBMD and each quarter and the London district using the forename Eva.  Probably throw up several, if not numerous possibilities, but may be worth it.

Also, you say that you've checked England Army Records - have you tried posting on Forum Military threads?  Someone may recognise his insignia and make a breakthrough for you.  Have you considered that the groom may not be British?  Others will be more knowledgeable, but my husband thinks that the pocket on the trousers doesn't look like a British uniform, and might indicate a foreign force?  What about Poland, etc?  Worth a thought.

All the best and happy hunting, Kit

Have just seen Pels post.  Worth a try eh?

What a handsome couple!
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie