Author Topic: Identify picture  (Read 18444 times)

Offline Pete Keane

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Identify picture
« Reply #108 on: Thursday 05 August 10 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just going over some 'unsolved' bits and pieces.

Can you remind me.....

Did you contact the Association for Jewish Refugees in the UK,

http://www.ajr.org.uk/

and

Have you tried to obtain the Yad-Vashem sheets for her parents (if they exist, of course - only 3m of the 6m people are recorded.)

Cheers

Pete

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 17:51 BST (UK) »
I have been looking at photos of Jewish weddings online, particularly those taken in London at this time. In many photos the groom wore something very like this laurel leaf. I believe it was simply a custom, like carrying a lucky horse shoe.

If you have a look at this 2014 article from the Daily Mail you will see a whole host photos and several have the grooms wearing a version of this. I had my suspicions because it was so big, far too big to be a genuine army badge. It is more like a brooch really. See what you think.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2843939/Captivating-wedding-pictures-archives-one-photographer-brought-touch-Hollywood-glamour-London-s-gritty-impoverished-East-End.html
Baldock, Millward, Harriman, Wilson, Hilton, Fairclough, Hadley, Bedford, Brady, Butler, Watchorn, Marshall, Jutson, Pinfold, Masters, Mottram, Upton, Daffern, Shellswell, Skelding, Wall, Taylor, Scattergood, Ferguson, Innous, Mulley, Hyams

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 20:06 BST (UK) »
My apologies if this has been noted previously, but the link to the Daily Mail makes mention of the London photographer "Boris Bennett".  If this name is Googled, his dates are given (1900 - 1985).

His collection of negatives over the years must provide quite a social archive of the Jewish community in London's East End, and it is possible that some organisation is now the custodian of these negatives/plates, and possibly record paperwork if these survived.

Googling the photographers name and dates, together with "archive" provided several "hits".  The archivist appears to be a Michael Greisman (http://www.jeecs.org.uk/news/92-boris-website-showcases-east-end-glamour) acting on behalf of the Jewish East End Celebration Society (enquiries@jeecs.org.uk).

The same background in the "Dottle" photograph can be seen in several of the photographs in the Daily Mail article posted earlier today by LouiseB31.  Whether this is a studio set, or an actual location is however a moot point.

Again my apologies if I am recrossing old ground.

Istrice

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 21:29 BST (UK) »
"Can anyone  identify this couple"

Not the couple but the "window" or structure behind the couple is the same as the background of the couple identified as Barnet Brampton/Annie Saltzman married 23 January 1936 ???

Brampton/Satlzman are  included in the photographs submitted by RootsChatter Jaywit in  "Jewish East End of London Photo Gallery and Commentary" on this thread.

Bad news I cannot find the Brampton/Saltzman marriage.