Author Topic: Identify picture  (Read 18451 times)

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
Re: Identify picture
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 04 February 10 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Gladioli maybe?
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 04 February 10 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Lilies - hot house or outdoors in June/July but could be artificial maybe  :-\

Not sure about the war effort though - I thought that everything went into growing veg  :-\

Added -  Don't think  he's Polish Army:

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 04 February 10 22:36 GMT (UK) »

Quiltlady, another question I'm afraid.

When Eva wrote to her aunt from herself and her husband .. what made everyone think he was in fact British. Was it because they married in London, or have you been told something else that made you believe he was ?

I fully understand you must be overwhelmed by all this reaction, after your initial lack of response.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 04 February 10 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Until the army experts come along, how about this description iof WW2 British battledress:

Attempting to create a more standardized uniform across much of the British military, it was composed of a fairly streamlined short jacket of wool serge that buttoned to the outside of high-waisted wool serge trousers. The jacket (or blouse) was copied as the American Ike jacket of late WWII. The sleeves of the British jacket had a forward curve built into them so that they were more comfortable to wear prone shouldering a rifle, or seated holding a steering wheel for instance, although they tended to show multiple wrinkles near the inside of the elbow when the soldier's arms were held straight at the sides. On the pants or trousers, there was a large map pocket on the front near the left knee and a special pocket for a field dressing near the right front pocket
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Dress

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 04 February 10 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat ,Looking at the uniform I see there is something on the grooms left sleeve . I am not sure about the symbol on the jacket pocket to me it looks like a sort of broach ,could it be a Jewish symbol.The brides dress looks expensive to me.Could it have been borrowed from a Jewish family .
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 05 February 10 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Certainly one of the Boris Bennett studios, in Whitechapel or Oxford Street, as this photo of another wedding shows a very similar background.  Suggests it is a Jewish wedding and not a poor one. Dress looks expensive, and rather a lot of material considering wartime clothes rationing and restrictions on the amount of material used in a dress.  The Jewish Museum in London has a collection of his material & might be able to provide information www.jewishmuseum.org.uk.  Otherwise, do the company records survive anywhere?

Robert
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline WelwynGC1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 05 February 10 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Quiltlady and another welcome to RC.

Dont want to put a damper on this but that looks like the white symbol has been added afterwards as it just doesnt sit right........but that of course is only my opinion........sure someone will find you the answer. Good luck.....thats one attractive bride!!

Steve.
Hayton 1800-Present Day

Maynard, Jones-Hertford

Chance- Jarrow/Hebburn/South Shields 1800-Present Day

HONOUR THE BRAVE BOMBER BOYS-NEVER FORGET

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 05 February 10 09:36 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Robbo
What made me think it was a Jewish wedding is that when I was young my aunt lived next door to a Synagogue in  Leazes Park Road Newcastle  and she used to send me out to look at the weddings they were always grandly dressed
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 05 February 10 09:54 GMT (UK) »
This Canadian uniform looks like the same uniform as the groom is wearing.