Author Topic: Identify picture  (Read 18468 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Identify picture
« Reply #45 on: Friday 05 February 10 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Dollylee, what an excellent find. 
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 05 February 10 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

In the event he was a Canadian Soldier a great site is www.canadianwarbrides.com

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Pete Keane

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 05 February 10 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The uniform itself will not identify his nationality, it is of a pattern used by many of the allies.

If he was NOT in a British unit, he would have a flash/badge at the top of his arm giving his units nationality. ie CANADA, POLAND etc

I cannot see one, so I think he is British, or, serving in a British unit.

Can you post a close up of the badges at the top of his sleeve, it may be possible to make out the formation flashs.

The white emblem on his left breast is related, I believe, to his marriage and not his military service.

Regards

Pete

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 05 February 10 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Pete Thanks for that. We are waiting for the OP to come back with a better scan and more details.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 06 February 10 06:56 GMT (UK) »
The badges on the sleeve.  Not sure about the top one but I think the lower one is a 'trade' badge. Showing he was trained in a specific job in his regiment.

My first thought was it was a propellor but that wouldn't fit for an army uniform more RAF regiment, but then ther possibly would be something on the epaullet. The bit at the top buttoned up.

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 06 February 10 08:18 GMT (UK) »
I just read a topic looking for a gentleman in the U.S.  Within three pages three unknown relatives showed up, not only with information to add but pictures as well.  I believe this must have been through doing a search on google.

I know we have privacy laws but apparently this girl did not use the name the poster knew her by once she got to England.  With this in mind could she not post the name of the girl again, the name of the parents, the girls birthdate if known and her country of origin?  With amazing luck someone might find the thread and privately give information to the original poster.

This family was torn apart by an inhumane war and it would be wonderful for them to be reunited.

dollylee

Offline Pete Keane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 06 February 10 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Quiltlady,

I see you have searched for her entry to Britain for the period 39-45.

I think you could go back another couple of years, say to 36.   Jewish immigration to avoid the Nazi's was high prior to the start of the war, I think it actually decreased during the war as it was difficult to move around.

Also, if she was Jewish, have you been in contact with any Jewish organisations?

If her husband was not Jewish, her children still could be, so a request to someone like the Chronicle may result in the photo being published.

Do you know if her husband survived the war? Any extra details would be a help.

Regards

Pete

Offline quiltlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 06 February 10 22:43 GMT (UK) »
The suggestion of posting a painting  of the bride   in cyber space might stir someone's memory.  Do you know anyone who has had success this way.

sara

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 07 February 10 03:13 GMT (UK) »
Well...I can confirm that this is a British uniform (1937 pattern) and taken prior to 1944.

It is a pity that this is a poor scan of the original. Do you have the original to hand?

There are no trade badges on the uniform, only an Arm Of Service strip, and possibly a divisional badge....I would have expected a Regimental shoulder title, but there is none visible.

Has has been pointed out, if foreign serving in the British Army (Free French, Norwegian, Polish etc, and yes, even Canadians!), he would have the distinctions of that country on this type of battledress. I would not expect to see an Arm Of Service strip on foreign nationals, even in British BD. That is peculiar to British units.

All of the Empire, Commonwealth and Dominion troops wore virtually the same uniform....The Canadian one was of a more greener hue of khaki that the British, and the Australians mostly wore a tunic more akin to a WW1 type. This is the same as the "Free" troops under British command until late in the war when the French were eventually equipped with a variation on American kit.

The horseshoe symbol (toes upwards so the luck doesn't run out) is common, and such things can be seen on wedding pics of the period and can be worn when in uniform.

There may be a trace of an early type of shoulder title (up to 1941) on the epaulette, but again we need a good scan to see this properly.

Just because the dress looks expensive, it doesn't necessarily mean that she is Jewish...Many dresses were loaned /hired during the war, and of course, some people had the money and/or connections to "source" a nice wedding dress...He appears to be a private soldier with no rank (unless something turns up on the better scan!) And I would expect an officer to be wearing Service Dress, not Battledress (BD), and of course if an officer in BD he would have his collar open and be wearing a tie...
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.