Author Topic: Carrick, San Francisco  (Read 6223 times)

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carrick, San Francisco
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 07 February 10 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Have you researched the Market Street building?

No, I haven't. Good idea though.

And all that did make sense. I'll look through the 1910 census later - mine are baying for breakfast now, so I probably should go too.  I hadn't come across that list of directories. That's fantastic, exactly what is needed no doubt,  will take a look through some of those later.   ;)

Thank you so much for trying so hard to figure this out. I'm really grateful.

Goodnight,
Ann

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 07 February 10 09:59 GMT (UK) »
You're quite welcome, Ann.

One more directory; still no sign of William:
http://www.archive.org/stream/crockerlangleysa1901sanfrich#page/398/mode/1up
Page 2051 has hotels; maybe 863 Market is listed?  Although it was 863 1/2, so it probably wasn't a hotel.

You can access other years here:
http://www.archive.org/details/crockerlangleysa1901sanfrich

Have a wonderful breakfast.

Lisa

http://www.sfgenealogy.com/sf/sfdata.htm
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 07 February 10 10:20 GMT (UK) »
If you are interested in the Market Street address, you can see a current street view, using a google map.

Photo of the destruction in that area in 1906:
http://www.sfmuseum.org/hist/pix48.html

http://www.sfmuseum.org/1906/06.html
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 07 February 10 10:36 GMT (UK) »
If you are interested in the Market Street address, you can see a current street view, using a google map.
That's one of the first things I do for all the new addresses I find - it's an absolute gift for impatient / curious people like me!

Those photo's are quite upsetting aren't they. When I fist realised this might be him, I soon hoped it wasn't when I saw them and came across his name in the list of the dead.

Just to give you some understanding of what this means to me: My William was my 3x great grandfather's brother.  James was a master mariner, serving as a 1st mate, en route to SF himself when he died in 1882. Long story short - the ship he was headed there on became damaged after it left Hull and was towed from the south coast to Liverpool, where it spent 3 months having repairs. Rather than going elsewhere, on another ship, James hung around at home (he was married and lived in Lpool by then)  the whole time, as if he was waiting to go to SF specifically. Sadly, after the repairs, the ship left Liverpool and was never heard of again.  We think he may have been going to visit his brother - with two kids and a pregnant wife, why else would he hang around otherwise?

Regards,
Ann

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 07 February 10 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Gosh Ann isn't it amazing what we can find out about our ancestors. Yours has been a long hard trail and sad.
Think Lisa in California came up with alot of interesting stuff and ideas for you - always someone to go the extra mile.
Good Luck and I do hope you can get a result.

;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 07 February 10 17:22 GMT (UK) »
As dettori28 said, what a sad story.

If you've had a chance to look at the site with the photos, you may see another photo of the same Market Street area.  It was taken a few blocks away, and shows most of the buildings standing.  There's a good chance William survived the earthquake.  You most likely know, it wasn't the initial earthquake that devastated part of the city, it was fire.

Apparently, most San Francisco residents were asleep when the earthquake struck.  Unless William had to get to work earlier than most folks, he too, may have been at home.

If it wasn't mentioned earlier, another idea would be to check names from the 1900 census (those on his page) and see if they are still living in San Francisco in 1910.  Quite a few of them may have left, due to shortages of living quarters, but there may be a pattern to where most settled.  (Another district in San Francisco, a neighbouring city like Oakland.)

Perhaps he was a shipping clerk for a railroad, not ocean vessels?

Have you tried to find out information about Corvallis? 

I'm surprised that William was not listed in the San Francisco directories.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 07 February 10 17:25 GMT (UK) »

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 07 February 10 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps he was a shipping clerk for a railroad, not ocean vessels

You know that's never even crossed my mind  ;D

With all the mariners in my family, I just made the assumption it was to do with ships!  But you're absolutely right, he could have been a shipping clerk in any industry that shipped stuff!

I haven't looked into Corvallis yet. I'm having quite a day with these brothers - someone's just located some information about my William's brother, Duncan, for me on another thread.

I love this site  ;D

Thanks again for all your help. I had a look at several of those directories earlier, but I couldn't see him in them either, which I thought was odd too.

Ann

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Lisa are you still about??? 

Finally managed to find out a bit more about the William Carrick in San Francisco (from the 1900 census).  So, to recap, he was single, living at 363 1/2 Market Street.  This was known as the Elcho Lodging house and was situated opposite the Flood Building (on the corner of Powell, and possibly now has a GAP on the ground floor according to Google street view). It was on the same block as the Call Building, near the corner of 5th Street  - now looks like a mall).   It seems (like much of the city) the Elcho building was lost in April 1906, during the earthquake and fire (managed to find loads of pics of area online of both before and after).  But it doesn't look like William died in it. But he may have been injured and died later as a result as I've found a death for a William Carrick on the 9th Sept 1906 in SF aged 60, which sounds like him.  It seems he died at the City and County Hospital. If it's him,he should be listed as an ex soldier (served in India/Pakistan/Gibraltar) and, a native of Scotland.  He had no wife or children and, to my knowledge, had no other family around him.  I’m not even sure his family here even knew what may have become of him.

I’m finding it virtually impossible to access a death/burial record or any further information about him.  I've messaged the hospital and the archive, but got nowhere.

Any ideas?