Author Topic: Bad press for heir hunters  (Read 17689 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bad press for heir hunters
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 11:00 GMT (UK) »
In many cases the heir hunter will know the size of the estate before asking people to sign agreements.

No, they won't.   As far as I'm aware, they have no idea what's in the deceased bank accounts.  They can only make an educated guess based on property owned and maybe what someone did for a living.  As I said in a previous post, F & F didn't persue my half-brother's estate, and I can't blame them, because he lived on his own in a one-bedroomed council flat in SE London, he didn't have a phone, and had been in retirement for more than 20 years.   As it turned out, his estate was in excess of £180,000 because of the savings, insurance and pensions that he had.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline FraserandFraser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Neil Fraser of Fraser and Fraser
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Please remember when quoting the 40% fee this is only charged on cases that come from the US and then only really on some New York cases. I have never seen a 40% fee on a domestic English estate, ( I have however heard of other firms charging by the hour using more than half of the estate)

The reason that a New York case has higher fees is because who has to share that fee. The Heir Hunter in England (Europe) will be luck if he gets 2/5 of that fee so in reality a fee of between 15% and 20%.

Offline syzygy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Please remember when quoting the 40% fee this is only charged on cases that come from the US and then only really on some New York cases. I have never seen a 40% fee on a domestic English estate, ( I have however heard of other firms charging by the hour using more than half of the estate)

The reason that a New York case has higher fees is because who has to share that fee. The Heir Hunter in England (Europe) will be luck if he gets 2/5 of that fee so in reality a fee of between 15% and 20%.

I noticed you said 'English'. Do you only deal with estates in England?

Offline FraserandFraser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Neil Fraser of Fraser and Fraser
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 11:45 GMT (UK) »
No F&F are international

I mean I have never seen a 40% fee on an Estate where the deceased died in the UK.

We have offices in France, Italy, Poland and Norway.

Moderator comment: topic edited after discussion with some of the contributors.  Returned to the board for information and locked.