Author Topic: Epwell  (Read 2813 times)

Offline chopendoz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Epwell
« on: Saturday 06 February 10 12:28 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to find out if anyone has catalogued/listed/photographed the Monumental Inscriptions for Epwell. Oxfordshire. Apparently nothing has been done for a couple of reasons. To quote an expert source the headstones 'would probably be made of he local iron-stone that has an unfortunate tendency to erode easily and is also very attractive to lichen and moss, making inscriptions very difficult, if not impossible to read'. In 1796 I had 3 generations of ancestors living in Epwell. In 1797 my 5th great grandfather died and was buried there. He was the 8th family member to have been buried there - his son being the 9th (and last) in 1824. One would have supposed that some family members would attend the graves maybe at least once a year and maintain it in some small way.  I know that the information about burials is in the Parish Register but it would be nice to confirm what is actually inscribed on the headstone. The name, date of death and age at death would help me considerably. One would have thought that the church warden must have known where people were buried in order to find a place for other family members to be buried nearby. That information didn't just vanish. Someone must know.
I am wondering if, and when, someone made a list of who was buried there.   
Any thoughts?

Offline tonyhennessey1

• RootsChat Extra
  • R.I.P. James Irwin 01/11/1882 - 29/04/1917
    • View Profile
Re: Epwell
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chopendez
I also have family (Haycock) that lived in Epwell at the same period as your family. I have a tour of local villages planned at Easter which will include cemetery searches (my children are all bracing themselves for another of dad's enriching holidays!! 8)). If you pass on your family name I'll have a look around for you and take some photos if I find anything.

Tony
Irwin/Irvine/Irving/ - Ireland - Glasgow - Jarrow,
Russell - Glasgow - Jarrow
Hennessy - Cork, ODonoghue - Clare, Wallace - Limerick, Pierce - Wexford, Lennon - Liverpool & Ireland

Offline chopendoz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Your offer is very much appreciated. The family name is POTTER or POTER and to the best of my knowledge, the only family of that name buried in Epwell. Thanks again.

Offline tonyhennessey1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 20:40 GMT (UK) »
I'll see what I can do.
Hennessy - Cork, ODonoghue - Clare, Wallace - Limerick, Pierce - Wexford, Lennon - Liverpool & Ireland

Offline tonyhennessey1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 April 10 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi
no luck I'm afraid. The gravestones in Epwell are in a very bad state with the erosion of the limestone showing barely a word on most of the gravestones. Even more modern ones from the 1940s+ were difficult to read. Epwell is a beautiful village though - well worth seeing if you get the chance.

Good Luck

Tony

Offline chopendoz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 April 10 17:26 BST (UK) »
I suspected as much. Thank you very much for trying.