Author Topic: Trade directory, Woverton  (Read 621 times)

Offline post office Kate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trade directory, Woverton
« on: Saturday 06 February 10 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for information re my great grandfather William Harper who sold pianos in Wolverton in the late 19th century. Can anyone help me or point me in the direction of where I can obtain a trade directory? Many thanks, POK
looking for Goodings and Whaymans of Suffolk, Harpers of Buckinghamshire and Warwickshire, Jacques of Leicestershire and Hudds and Pontings of Gloucestershire

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Trade directory, Woverton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 February 10 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried:

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/

It takes a bit of patience to search the actual directories.  It is probably best to find Wolverton in the index and then search for the page number.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline post office Kate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 February 10 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, I followed your link and found EXACTLY what I was looking for. It seems that my great grandfather worked from his home in Church St. and we were able to drive there (160 mile round trip) this morning and took some photos of the house. Thanks again. Kate
looking for Goodings and Whaymans of Suffolk, Harpers of Buckinghamshire and Warwickshire, Jacques of Leicestershire and Hudds and Pontings of Gloucestershire

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 February 10 16:53 GMT (UK) »
It is probably just coincidence but my great aunt Ethel Wilson managed a music shop in Church Street probably in the 1930s

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk