Author Topic: Elizabeth Hogg LookUp  (Read 18059 times)

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Hogg LookUp
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 11 April 10 06:08 BST (UK) »
Cheran,
              I cannot answer that as I have been unable to find a christening for Ann Gardner but it is likely that she was a daughter of Thomas Gardner and Sarah and a sister to Thomas b 1747.
     I have been able to find details on Celia Hughes family though.
           Celia was christened 7 Dec 1777 at Painswick Gloucestershire.
        Her parents were John Hughes ch 10 Jun 1750 Painswick and Sarah Pagett ch 1 Jan 1751 at
 Miserden, Gloucestershire and they were married 18 Feb 1773 at Painswick G.
         The children for the family were: John ch 5 Nov 1772, Painswick.  father John no mother named
                                             Celia ch 7 Dec 1777 Painswick, father John mother Sarah
               Charles ch 21 Sep 1780 Painswick died 25 Apr 1782 father John mother Sarah
               George ch 14 Mar 1783 Painswick  father John mother Sarah
               Joseph ch 26 Jan 1786 Painswick  father John mother Sarah
               Charles ch 11 Oct 1789 Painswick father John mother Sarah
  ( The vicar was really having trouble with Hughes, spelling varied, Huse, Hews, etc) all are IGI christening extracts.
              John Hughes b 1750  parents were John Hughes ch 28 Apr 1719 Painswick and his mother was Sarah.
            John Hughes b 1719 father was John Hughes and mother not named.
     Wyanga  ( I have stanardised spelling to Hughes)             

Thanks for your help!   Sorry I have taken so long but I have had a lot information that I have taken a while to put it together.[/color]

Cheran

Offline Portcullis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 07 August 10 23:33 BST (UK) »
.....my research of James Hogg led me to a research booklet published through the Stirling University in Scotland with an extensive bio of James Hogg through the letters he wrote,  This detail the link between Margert Beatttie and James Hogg and the birth of his daughter Elizabeth  in 1810 (also known as Betsie)  James Hogg is also listed on the Baptism on 13 March 1810 Closeburn Dumfries Scotland  on the family search site  the same  date as in the research booklet.......

Cheran
Hello Cheran,

I am very interested in this topic.  I am the great great grandson of an Elizabeth Hogg, and I am researching the family tree as far back as possible.  It may be of interest to you to know that it has always been family 'lore' that we are related to James Hogg, the Ettrick Shepherd.

My surname is Bridges.  My great great grandfather John Bridges married Elizabeth Hogg in 1838, and they went on to have seven children.  The censuses of 1841 and 1851 have John and Elizabeth living at addresses in Leith South, Midlothian.  Elizabeth is stated as being 25 in 1841 and 37 in 1851, but I'm confident that this is the same family.  This would put her year of birth between 1814 and 1816, which is slightly at odds with your date of 1810.  Could we be referring to the same lass?

I don't know if this helps you. I'm somewhat new to this game and am just finding my way around.  The Stirling Uni research sounds very useful.  It would be great to hear your thoughts on my info....

Offline Portcullis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 09 August 10 09:30 BST (UK) »
Me again...  I now don't think that 'my' Elizabeth is the same one as yours, Charan.  I've seen the marriage record of Elizabeth and John Bridges, and it gives her father as a Walter Hogg.

I'll continue to search, and will post again if I find anything useful....

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 09 August 10 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Portcullis

Thanks for your post.  It was with interest I read that your family had the same as mine re the connection to James Hogg the ettrick shepphard.

I will be very interested in what your research shows up! even if it eliminates James Hogg as the father of the two Elizabeths......

Cheran

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 12 October 17 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Wyanga

Just to add to the picture I thought you might be interested in these 2 webpages

http://www.thepeerage.com/p49894.htm#i498939

and this one has our Edward Hogg and Jane Mills & their family...

http://hdhdata.org/roots/h2759.html

and the memorial inscriptions for some of the family...

http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Pitchcombe/MIs.html

Cheran 8)