Author Topic: Elizabeth Hogg LookUp  (Read 18060 times)

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Hogg LookUp
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 February 10 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Cheran,

The marriage you found for Elizabeth H in 1831 is a submitted entry in the IGI and as such is unreliable regarding some, if not all, of its details.

At http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hogg/jameshogg.html there is information about James Hogg.  It does not mention any child of his named Elizabeth so although the Painswick Elizabeth might have had a father named James, he was not known as The Ettrick Shepherd.  Had James had another child, no doubt the fact would be well known by researchers in Scotland.

Regards

Chas

Chas

Thanks for your input.

Just to let you know my research of James Hogg led me to a research booklet published through the Stirling University in Scotland with an extensive bio of James Hogg through the letters he wrote,  This detail the link between Margert Beatttie and James Hogg and the birth of his daughter Elizabeth  in 1810 (also known as Betsie)  James Hogg is also listed on the Baptism on 13 March 1810 Closeburn Dumfries Scotland  on the family search site  the same  date as in the research booklet.

I also have looked at three entries on family search....... 2 on the 6 December and one on the 13 November 1831 so still get confused with which date is correct for Elizabeth & Samuel's wedding.

So my quandry is still whether James Hogg can be Elizabeth's father.

Cheran

:)

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 February 10 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Cheran,

You say, "So my quandry is still whether James Hogg can be Elizabeth's father."  Not strictly correct, it should be,  "So my quandry is still whether the Ettrich Shepherd can be the GLS Elizabeth's father."  Personally I do not think there's a snowball's chance in Hell.

However, in the HW site http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyGloucester_(N-Z).htm#P you will find that Painswick has many extracted entries for Hogg so it would not be unexpected to find some Elizabeths.

The fact that one Elizabeth is not there might be because the data had been in an extracted LDS batch but was used by an LDS member in a submission.  The submitted entry might even be a fairy tale and does not, as you have found, give her father's name although it gives her birth/baptism as Painswick - perhaps she was base born.

What you need to do and there is no other way, in order to find her father's name if her bap. is there and it's given, is to hire and search the LDS films of Painswick's church records, viz:-

LDS film No.595449 Independent t Church records 1780 - 1837
LDS film 425488 C of E's  BT's 1570 - 1812
LDS film 855629 C of E PR's 1548 - 1888

The cost will be £7.50 per film and you'll have three months in which to search.  Church records sometimes give info. such as "father reputed to be . . ."

I have recently found a shortcoming in Horsley's BT's by a search of the PR's so it would be adviseable to search both if you find nothing in the first search and of course, if the Elizabeth's father is given as James it proves nothing.

As Genuki says - http://www.genuki.org.uk/gs/#Work - working forwards from a famous figure in history in the hope of finding a family connection is rarely profitable.

Regards

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 February 10 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Cheran

Some of the microfiche for Painswick parish are in my local library, so I could try and check at least Elizabeth's marriage for witnesses and also look for possible baptisms. Would that be of help?

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 February 10 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Cheran

To my mind the most likely parents for Elizabeth Hogg who married Samuel Gardner 1831, is James Hogg and Elizabeth Hewlett as found by Trish, they married in 1808.  Elizabeth being named after her mother?

The marriage date of 6th December 1831 Painswick is correct.

Angela's offer to look at the records is a good one, may give further details  :)

Susan

Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 February 10 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Cheran

Some of the microfiche for Painswick parish are in my local library, so I could try and check at least Elizabeth's marriage for witnesses and also look for possible baptisms. Would that be of help?

Angela

Angela

Your offer would be greatly appreciated! ??? 

I have appreciated everone's input as I would have loved to verify Elizabeth parentage.....I know that the likely hood of a connection to the ettrick shephard is not high but I have found the journey of  following through very very interesting and as the information originally came from a very extensive and generally accurate family tree done by an aunt, I have really felt the need to try and see if it was possible to find Elizabeth's parentage.....so thanks for everyones help.

Being in Australia does make it a little hard to get to  Gloucester so as I say I really appreciate all your help.

Ps I fond the headstone transcript for Elizabeth at St Marys Painswick 3rd March 1839 so would death records record the place of birth and fathers name?

Cheran :D

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 February 10 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheran

I'll happily check the Painswick records for the marriage in 1831 but I probably won't be able to do that until next week now. The library also has Stroud microfiche, so I'll check the baptism and marriage entries that Susan and Trish mentioned in case there's any extra information on the original records.

If I can find it, would a photo of Elizabeth's gravestone be useful? (No guarantees as my photography skills are less than expert  :-\ )

Regards

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 February 10 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to mention - unlike Australian records, UK death and burial records are pretty uninformative  :(  On the death certificate, the best you get is the age of the person plus their occupation - in the case of a woman, it's usually "wife of xxx" Not useful at all really unless you're compiling an index of what your ancestors have died of - they always give a cause of death  ::)

Angela

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 February 10 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Angela

Thank you so much for your offer and if a photo is possible, it would be greatly appreciated by all the family in Australia.

I know how hard it is to look up microfilm so thanks for trying in advance!!!

Cheran :)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 February 10 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheran

Could you post the reference for the 1841 census in which you found Samuel and Georgina please? Just making sure I've got all the info before I go looking  ;D Was it Georgina that went to Australia, or was that later on?

Regards

Angela