Author Topic: Thompson family in Birkenhead  (Read 1947 times)

Offline littlemezz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thompson family in Birkenhead
« on: Friday 18 March 05 03:15 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on my uncle, Charles Thompson, born in Birkenhead on Nov 13, 1890 to Charles H Thompson and Clara Davis; emigrated to US, arriving at Philadelphia on Sept 3, 1906 aboard the ship "Noordland" from Liverpool. Any information about this family would be appreciated. Thank you. Harry Gardiner

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: Thompson family in Birkenhead
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 March 05 04:30 GMT (UK) »
1901 census

RG13/3396 ED 10 Folio 98 Page 24
22 Golden Place
Birkenhead Cheshire

THOMPSON Charles Head 35 Mar b Ireland Tailors Cutter
THOMPSON Clara Wife 29 Mar b Egremont Cheshire
THOMPSON Charles Son 8 b Birkenhead Cheshire
THOMPSON Florence Dau 5 b Birkenhead Cheshire
THOMPSON Harry Son 1 b Birkenhead Cheshire

Cheers Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline littlemezz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 March 05 04:35 GMT (UK) »
Kris: Thanks for your note with the 1901 census data. This certainly looks like my family! I greatly appreciate it. Hello from the USA. Harry

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 05 04:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Harry I am not sure If I have the right people here if u r right with young Charles then I am not  ??? with young Charles only 8 instead of 10 I thought that sometimes these census entries r not too accurate but on looking at 1891 this child is not born and father not married....Alas I can c no baby Charles born Birkenhead

RG12/2885 ED 32 Folio 79 Page 31
2 Ridley Street
Birkenhead

home of John Sinekar and family

THOMPSON Charles Lodger 25 Unm b Ireland Tailors Assistant

Kris  :D

Offline littlemezz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 March 05 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Kris: I tend to think you were correct with the 1901 census. I have looked at Charles Thompson's naturalization papers and he says he was born in 1890 in Birkenhead and his parents were Charles Thompson and Clara Davis and that matches. His son, Howard Thompson, born here in the USA, has his father's birth as 1892 in some of his papers, which would make him the right person. As I've discovered in searching other relatives, they frequently lie about their age. One of my grandmothers made herself 8 years younger on her marriage certificate than she was on her baptismal certificate filed by her parents!

Do you have access to any Irish information? I've been looking for several decades for information on Archibald Gardner, born about 1822, Antrim, Ireland; married to Sarah Hazelton, daughter of John and Ruth Hazelton of Toberdoney, Ireland, born about 1823. Not sure if they married in Ireland or USA. Apparently emigrated to USA between 1822 and 1850 when their son was born in Pittsburgh, PA. and the Hazeltons were living with them

Thanks again for your follow-up.   Harry

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 March 05 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes Harry I know what u mean about lies....I have one man who aged 1 year in a 10 year period while his wife aged 17 years ....Makes it impossible to track them....Certainly does sound promising with some records suggesting birth in 1892 4 sure and as I said I can C no other possibility in the area

I am sorry I have no knowledge of Ireland and will not be able to assist you with that so would suggest you place your request on the Ireland board where hopefully sombody will be able to assist you in that area ...All the Best...Kris  :D