Author Topic: reilly family in magheracloone  (Read 9736 times)

Offline auchendennan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
reilly family in magheracloone
« on: Sunday 07 February 10 19:40 GMT (UK) »
i am trying to find out about the reilly family who lived in magheracloone. my grandad was john reilly his brothers were barney and joe his sisters were rosie teresa and bridie. I think they had a farm near derrynascobe

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: reilly family in magheracloone
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 February 10 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Any idea of dates? as that will make a difference as to what information we can tell you or what advise we can give you.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline tullyboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 February 10 20:36 GMT (UK) »
My father was John Reilly from Derrynascobe in Magheracloone. I have most of the information you are looking for

Offline bloomsday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 February 10 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Auchendennan. This is a bit of a bizarre coincidence. I've never investigated this type of website before and immediately I do I find a clear reference to my own family. I am the son of Teresa, your granddad's sister, and I see that I'm also cousin to your second correspondent. I shall reply to him/her as well and we can pool information.
Right, I'm a novice to this. Where do we go from here? I'm happy to send personal information to a family member but am less happy to just post it.

Offline bloomsday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 February 10 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Well, cousin. Good to see your posts. I need to get in touch with people back home and I've never found your aunt, my mother, Teresa's, address books. She was very meticulous about record-keeping. Can you help me out? If I post you my email address on this website?? A good idea?
Incidentally, Tullyboy needs to be reminded of his Great Aunt Mary-Ann.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 February 10 19:21 GMT (UK) »
If I post you my email address on this website?? A good idea?

Sorry, but you are NOT allowed to post your email address here. After you make 3 posts you can send or get PMs (personal messages) but make sure the other person has at least 3 posts. See Help Pages for details-
www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php#personal
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bloomsday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 February 10 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm that  the Reillys did indeed live some distance down the bog road and were next-door-neighbours to the Martins. We frequently went to stay in the ‘new’ house at Dernascoobe (one of a number of possible anglicised spellings) during the 60s and 70s on family holidays. The new house had been built to replace the still standing and used as an enormous chicken-coop house that my mother had been brought up in. The full tally of Reillys at that time were Ellen (my grandmother who died in 1961 or 2), her sons John (who had by then moved to Glasgow?), Barney, Joe (both of whom worked the land locally), and James (who was, briefly, a postman until he left the job under a bit of a cloud), and her daughters Kathleen (Reilly, married to John in Dundalk) Mary-Ann (Fox, married to John at Corcilloughe) Rose, Bridget (Dunne, married to Patrick in Leicester) and my mother, Teresa (Kennedy, married to John in Glasgow and later Liverpool). Rosie never married and eventually lived on her own in the actually new house built by the Gypsum company (God rot them).
The Martins, as I recall, had a well with a pump and as Dernascoobe’s only water supply was a hole in the bog (gorgeous water, mind you) or the pump down at the main road they would often be kind enough to allow us to draw water from their well.

Offline auchendennan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 February 10 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for the information. Is the old farmhouse still standing or has it been knocked down. I can tell you john reilly moved to bonhill in dumbartonshire not glasgow. Keep in touch.

Offline bloomsday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 February 10 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. Great pictures. I honestly don't know whether either of the houses at Dernascoobe is still standing. The Gypsum company wouldn't have any reason to go and knock them down but they weren't too steady on their pins, if you know what I mean.
Incidentally, tullyboy has corrected some of the inaccuracies in my original reply.