Author Topic: Agnew.Ballymena? change of name?!!  (Read 14618 times)

Offline lynnsefton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Agnew.Ballymena? change of name?!!
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 28 February 10 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks..dont know if there is a link..i paid to join emerald ancestry  found
SAMUEL AGNEW MARRIED ELIZABETH CRAIG 24TH NOV 1883  in same church as WILLIAM HENRY AGNEW!!  Also just found on ancestry who i think is Samuel..in army barracks aged 19 born 1852..which  is about same age as Elizabeth his wife!!  Must send for cert!   do irish certs have much info on do you know?   I have got access to that emerald site if anyone wants look up...couldnt find Samuels birth on ther though!! unless he has another name he dropped?!

Offline lynnsefton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 February 10 23:36 GMT (UK) »
see you have STEWART in your tree!!  Elizabeth craigs father was robert craig and mother elizabeth stewart!!..found a marriage again in Ballymena for them in 1851..but Robert is William!!
I have a few like that in my family.  Cant find a death that fits for Samuel Agnew neither!!  grrr

Offline lynnsefton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 February 10 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Have you ever had civil service records? there is a record for WILLIAM ROBERT AGNEW on find my past , but i am not a member of that.  Its 14.00 pound to get original one from another site!!

Offline lynnsefton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Just an update..recieved records today..was copy of william robert agnews birth cert..also the person witnessing it was him and change of name said he was executor of elizabeth agnews will...i have already found her death in 1927..scotland..rang records office and they will send info re getting the will etc..Also on find my past i got samuels agnews army records!!  12 pages of them!!  brilliant!!  says he was born 1852!!  i still cant find hios birth though!!  on his marriage cert ..it says his father is william agnew a farmer.  On army papers born in Drumall  Ahogill..Antrim..i think he is on 1911 census aged 58 a pensioner form army..cant find his death..i know elizabeth was a widow in 1927.
Also cant find him in 1901..unless hes in ireland? she isnt!! shes in scotland..i think he left army in 1892.  Again any help or info would be greatly appreciated!!   Best wishes Lynn

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 25 March 10 10:50 GMT (UK) »
There was certainly a William Agnew in Drummaul Parish, Ahoghill during time of the Griffiths Valuation, which would tie in with the Drummaul place of birth you indicated for Samuel:

http://failteromhat.com/griffiths/antrim/drummaul.htm

and possibly the same William at the grand age of 86, in Ballymacilroy, Drummaul at 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Cloghogue/Ballymacilroy/116085/

or the neighbouring William Henry Agnew aged 82:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Cloghogue/Ballymacilroy/116086/

Both were also listed in the 1910 Ulster Directory for Balymacilroy:

http://www.libraryireland.com/UlsterDirectory1910/Ballymena-14.php

And William Henry Agnew's will index at PRONI:

http://www.proni.gov.uk/view_Will.htm?willId=119022&strReturn=listWill.asp?nListType=1&strOrder=Death&nPage=9510

Some more for you to get your teeth into!
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline lynnsefton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 March 10 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that!!  did i say on samuels marriage cert ..a james agnew was a witness..did see william henry has a son called james!!  in 1911 census!!...also looked at williams marriage in 1855..his father is david agnew...samuel was supposed to be born 1852!!??   may not be right..or william henry is not his father..its william agnew..as you said living near william henry agnew..james agnew could well be a cousin to samuel?!!   dont know how else to get further back!!  1901 census is out soon!!??
samuel is not with his wife in scotland in 1901..so is he in ireland?!!  Shame we cant look at 1861 census.