Author Topic: The Blue Bell  (Read 4624 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
The Blue Bell
« on: Monday 08 February 10 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any pictures of a pub or hotel named "Blue Bell", which is described in the 1861 Falkirk Landward census as being North Side Of Street.

If anyone is able to help with this I would be grateful for their assistance.

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline bairnj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Blue Bell
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 February 10 13:52 GMT (UK) »
There is a Blue Bell Inn in the Bainsford area of Falkirk - not sure if that is Falkirk Landward or not.  Will check it out for you and see how long it has been there.

Offline lola0908

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 January 11 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The Bluebell Inn is still in Bainsford Falkirk and it would have been listed at Falkirk Landward.  I can see if i can take a picture if you like?

Thanks

Laura
Bauchop (Airth), Blacklock (Dumfries), Borrowman (Airth, Dunfermline), Cameron (Oban), Caution (Perth), Corbett (Co. Monaghan, Hawick, Denny), Creelman (Glasgow, Kilmarnock), Demperstone (Alloa), Gibb (Falkirk, Edinburgh, Grangemouth), Glendinning (Dumfries) , Ingram (Banff), Johnston (Perth) Lorimer (Banff, Denny), Love (Alloa), Moffat (Oban), Raffan (Banff), Ross (Co Monaghan), Readhead (Banff), Strathie (Linlithgow, Larbert), Sutherland (Dumfries), Symon (Edinburgh), Turnbull (Larbert

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Laura,

That would be great - thank you.

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 14:23 GMT (UK) »
You can have a look at it by going to 'Google Earth' /Streetview and using the postcode FK2 7NT

As you will see , it's on the junction of Main St and Union St.

Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi fergie38,

Thank you for that link - it gives me a really good idea about what the place looks like.

I tried to capture the image from Google Earth but the site would not let me do this - must be a copyright issue I guess.

Offline lola0908

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I will take a picture asap  ;)  It was raining all day today  :(

Thanks

Laura
Bauchop (Airth), Blacklock (Dumfries), Borrowman (Airth, Dunfermline), Cameron (Oban), Caution (Perth), Corbett (Co. Monaghan, Hawick, Denny), Creelman (Glasgow, Kilmarnock), Demperstone (Alloa), Gibb (Falkirk, Edinburgh, Grangemouth), Glendinning (Dumfries) , Ingram (Banff), Johnston (Perth) Lorimer (Banff, Denny), Love (Alloa), Moffat (Oban), Raffan (Banff), Ross (Co Monaghan), Readhead (Banff), Strathie (Linlithgow, Larbert), Sutherland (Dumfries), Symon (Edinburgh), Turnbull (Larbert

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Coonwarra

The mods saw fit to delete the picture I posted although I'm sure that there is no copyright issue with Google as the photos are in the public domain.
Perhaps the mods would care to check on that.

However. I have posted what should be a direct link to the photo in my Photobucket page.
You should be able to save a copy from there.

To save from Google Earth just go to 'Edit' and either 'copy' or 'copy image. Open up something like Microsoft Picture Manager or Photoshop if you have it and paste the image there.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee209/38fergie/Roots%20Chat/BluebellInnBainsford.jpg
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fergie38 - I have managed to copy the picture thank you.

lola 0908 - thank you for your kind offer but no need to do anything more.

The marks on the building next door would suggest that the Bell Inn once had a pitched roof and has been redeveloped during it's history.

Anyway, just to let you know my interest here.

My 3rd gt grand uncle, Robert Neilson, ran this place in the 1860s.  He later took over the Spur Inn at Cumbernauld.  Robert's nephew, William Wood Neilson, was a very influential character in the Falkirk area from the 1870s onwards and eventually became the town Baillie.  Maybe Robert moved to get away from his nephew's influence????