Author Topic: American federal census lookup please . Elizabeth Leather  (Read 9427 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: American federal census lookup please . Elizabeth Leather
« Reply #36 on: Monday 15 February 10 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Once again excellent detective skills John.  If Napoleons father had'nt been around for sometime then it was probably natural for him to refer to Paul Garcin as his father. I agree the names are to close to be cooincidence.

Any of the drafts I've looked at, always seem to have the wife's name when there was one, so I wondered if it were possible Elizabeth Leather/Demers died earlier ? They could even have divorced - its just another uncertainty in the equation at the moment. 
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline hobbyhorse

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 15 February 10 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Thanks again for all the information that you have found. From your findings, it looks like it was Napoleon's second marriage.....very sad that a child of his died age 1 month. It looks like he got married when Ann Noonan was 8 months pregnant!! I wonder if Ann may have died in chilbirth? There weren't may divorces at that time and Napoleon remarries fairly soon. On the British wedding certificates, it states whether the couple are batchelor/ spinster or Widower/widow. Do the American certificates have the same. This is very interesting and very sad.
It looks like Napoleon's father died when he was fairly young!  I wonder what happened to him.
Thankyou very much for all this information. It is very much appreciated and also very interesting.
Hobbyhorse

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 15 February 10 20:56 GMT (UK) »
It may not mean anything, but the marriage registration for Napoleon Demers and Elizabeth Leather in 1914 says that the marriage was the first for each.

And to put a period to one part of this thread: Findagrave.com has Henriette Garcin and Paul Garcin buried in St. Joseph's Cemetery, Haverhill

Garcin, Henriette 
b. 1874 d. 1959
Garcin, Paul G. 
b. 1872 d. 1933

Lots of Demers are also buried in St. Joseph's, but Elizabeth and Napoleon not among them. Burials on Find A Grave are all posted by interested parties, and don't necessarily include everyone with a particular name.

Regards,
John  :o :o :o
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline hobbyhorse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Do you think that Napoleon was fibbing about his status, when he stated that he was a batchelor when he married Elizabeth? The other marriage to Ann Noonan, from what you have found also must be Napoleon as the parents have the same names. This seems very odd, they must be one and the same!!
Is there an Ann Demers burried in Haverhill cemetery, around 1910-1914 perhaps.?
If she did die in childbirth, perhaps he would prefer not to mention it to his new wife???
I printed off the social security death index for the Elizabeth Demers, birth date 1894. Her location is Haverhill, so hopefully this is her!
kind regards
Hobbyhorse

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hobbyhorse: There are at least four cemeteries in Haverhill where Ann Noonan Demers, Napoleon Demers, and Elizabeth Leather Demers might be buried: Haverhill City Cemetery, St. Joseph's Cemetery, St. James' Cemetery, and St. Patrick's Cemetery.

At this point it's impossible to tell where any of the three might be buried. The records that I saw on Findagrave.com are all contributed by relatives or friends, and don't necessarily include all people with a given surname.

If you eventually get any information from the Haverhill City Clerk about death certificates for Elizabeth and Napoleon Demers: The certificates usually note where the deceased person was buried and usually have the name of the funeral home.

Regards,
John  :o :o :o

SCOTLAND

Offline Salford Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 08:43 BST (UK) »
Loved reading all these posts Re: American federal census lookup please. Elizabeth Leather, Elizabeth was my Granddads Sister, or to be precise, his half sister, my Great Granddad Joseph Leather had Hung Himself in the Crumpsall Union Hospital ( Workhouse ) Elizabeth and her Brother John were sent to the Swinton Industrial School ( workhouse ) where it appears she was trained for domestic work. Joseph had first married catherine Smith, who was my Granddads mother, she was only 27 when she died in 1875, it seems strange to me because he seems to have remarried in the same year to Mary Ann Foster, she also died young in her 40's, Josephs Greengrocery business appears to have failed and in Grief and despair he hung himself, my mother was Lillian Leather, the Daughter of James Leather and Jane Grundy nee Hutchinson, my mom died in 1987 aged 80. The Leather Family were all Watermen who worked on the Docks, Canals, Barges etc.

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Salford Lad: And welcome to Rootschat. From reading this entire thread through once again, it seems to me that you and Hobbyhorse (who started the thread) are related. Or at least I think you are. Possibly (half) second cousins? Hobbyhorse seems to be descended from Elizabeth's brother Joseph (assuming that from Reply 18 on p. 3 of this thread) and you seem to be descended from a brother named John.

Have I go that right? Congrats if I'm correct. Excuse me if I'm not.

Regards,
John   :o :o :o

SCOTLAND

Offline Salford Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi John, if Hobbyhorse is related to Joseph, then you are correct, my Granddad was half brother to Joseph. My Granddad was James Leather born in 1870 who was the 1st child of Joseph Senior and his 1st wife Christine White, she died very young aged 27 and Joseph appears to have remarried in the same year to Marry Ann Foster, all the other children are from this 2nd union including young Joseph who was a Mariner ships cook, he ended up in Swansea, where he began the Welsh branch of the Leather family. My mother was Lillian Leather, the child of James and my Gran Jane Leather.

Offline hobbyhorse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hello
Yes Salford Lad and I are related. My great grandfather was Joseph, half brother of his Grandfather James. Both sons of Joseph Leather, greengrocer, who sadly hung himself in 1898.

However...... you mention that Joseph senior's first wife was Christine White. I do not have this person or have I traced the incorrect first marriage ??

I have the first wife as Catherine Smith, born 1844 died 13th Jan 1875. Married Joseph Leather in Witton 1st march 1863. I have found them in the 1871 census, living in Northwich with son James age 1.

Have I traced the wrong first wife, if so I apologize.

kind regards
Hobbyhorse