Author Topic: LEEKE and WILKINSON  (Read 24097 times)

Offline Julesleeke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« on: Monday 23 November 09 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Brief outline of what I have: William Wilkinson (carpenter and cooper)- wife unknown. Children:
1. William (c1835), bleacher, Seygorry, m.1859 Nancy/Agnes McIlroy and had: Eliza, Marianne, Jane Thompson, Hugh, Agnes, William, Hannah, Rebecca, Sarah McIlroy.

Hello Aghadowey and Vowgirl:
 Would you happen to have found out any more on William Wilkinson "the Cooper" the father of William Wilkinson "the Bleacher" who married Nancy McIlroy in 1859? I am the gt gt gt grandson of William (the Cooper) Wilkinson and my great grandmother was Jane Thompson (Hugh of Vow's sister) who married Charles Leek (of Tamlaghtard) in Cullycapple and settled in Mullaghinch. I noticed a date for the birth of John Wilkinson (the Cooper) was incorrect on one of the postings: John was born abt: 1851. He and his brother Abraham (widowed from Hanna Woodend) lived together in Drumacrow, Aghadowey in later life - the brothers of William "the bleacher". Williams daughter Martha was postmistress nearby. His son william married Matilda Jane Kelly in 1899 and had a family in Caheney.

NOTE: split from this thread:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,274775.30.html

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 November 09 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. I don't have any further details on William Wilkinson (the cooper- he was also a carpenter). Only know of 3 sons- William (c1835), Abraham (c1840), John (c1851?) but suspect from the age range there might have been other children.
Grand-daughter Jane Thompson Wilkinson m.1 Brown and then (1901) Charles Leeke.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Julesleeke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 November 09 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your speedy reply!
Jane Thompson Browne's first husband was an RIC man from Monaghan. He must have been posted in Wicklow initially as their first born - Samuel J was born there and their second son, William W was born in Co L/Derry. Sam was stationed in Belfast, William meanwhile emigrated to Australia and stayed initially with one of the Wilkinson's (apparently) who also left Aghadowey. A relative will be sending me on some info on the Brownes, if I get the name of Jane T's first husband I will post it for your records.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 November 09 18:41 GMT (UK) »
I don't have 'Mr' Brown's name yet either but I think there was a third son, Charlie, from the 1st marriage but not sure of his age or where he was born.
You have me curious about an Australian Wilkinson (any idea what Australian state?). Wonder what happened to Hugh Wilkinson born 15 Nov.1865?.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 November 09 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Found this Wilkinson post from a few years ago-
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/NIR-ANTRIM/2001-10/1003428497

And this which doesn't mention an exact location in Ireland but names and dates look possible-
www.wilkinsons.com/olderrequests.html

Offline Julesleeke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 November 09 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those links, unfortunately I didn't turn up anything new with them.
I've done a bit of investigating since the previous post and have discovered a few things:
William Wilkinson Brown emigrated to Sydney and settled in Berala where he married Elizabeth Florence Surname(?) and worked as a railwayman. Though I'd previously mentioned that he initially stayed with a Wilkinson, I've since found out that was NOT true, rather, my grandfather (his half-brother) stayed with him when he went to NSW, before moving on to live in Tamworth with my great grandparents George Thomas Byrne and Annie Mary Byrne nee Reilly.

Marriage 1: Jane Thompson Wilkinson m. Samuel Brown (from Monaghan)
Children: Samuel James Brown (b:1892) and William Wilkinson Brown (b: 1893)

Marriage 2: Jane Thompson Brown m. Charles Leek (1901)
Child: James Stewart Leeke (1904)

Jane Thompson Wilkinson's first husband was Samuel Brown(e?) of Monaghan. The Wilkinsons in general used the traditional naming pattern. Their second child William was named after the maternal grandfather so Samuel was probably the paternal grandfather's name. Having checked the Griffith's Valuation I found quite a few SAM BROWNEs and one spelt BROWN. The family now spell it with an "E", and records seem to vary.
As their first son Samuel James was born where his father was stationed at the time in Co. Wicklow, and William in Aghadowey, this has caused me to wonder if, when their father died so prematurely of which cause I don't yet know, he was buried at Aghadowey or in Monaghan. I haven't found a graveyard record at Aghadowey Presbyterian which denomination I am certain they were. Samuel James married an Anglican Mullaghinch neighbour called Rachel Doherty and they were buried with the Leekes at St Guire's.

As I mentioned, the wilkinsons not only used the traditional naming pattern, but also included surnames as middle names. This got me wondering as to whether Jane Thompson was the name of William the cooper/carpenter's wife. I've looked up a couple of genealogy sites (Emeraldancestry and derry.brsgenealogy) but alas to no avail!

Hugh Wilkinson was buried in Kilrea with wife Nancy Campbell - you'd wondered where he ended up, and the first website you sent me stated just that. Finally, there was no "Charles" from the Wilkinson/Brown marriage, they were grandchildren.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 November 09 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the new details as they certainly help sort out a few loose ends. I was told there was another son from the Brown marriage called Charlie but will double-check with that person next week and clarify this (perhaps they meant Charlie Leeke although that's not the way it was told to me).
Could find no marriage for Jane Wilkinson in Ireland c1890 but them thought to try Free BMD and eureka!
Samuel James Brown married Jane Thompson Wilkinson Oct./Dec.1889 Holyhead district, Wales (has to be the right couple with those names and the date).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 November 09 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Have found what looks to be the death of Samuel James Brown in Co. Monaghan (Monaghan registration district) Jan./Mar.1893 in civil registration index. Possibly buried in Monaghan as he would have had no connection to Aghadowey Presbyterian Church. (note: there is no burial register for Aghadowey Presbyterian Church).
Interestingly, not only is Jane listed with the surname Wilkinson (her maiden name) in 1901 census but her marriage to Charles Leeke also uses Wilkinson as her surname.
Samuel James Brown married Elizabeth Florence Lawford in 1921.

Offline Julesleeke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 November 09 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Hey there, major kudos to you - well done! Thanks so much for looking into this. I wonder though, whether that record for Samuel James Brown's death is definately the same individual as it's very early on in 1893 when you consider that Willy Brown was born that year. It could be verified if I could find his birth record. I could ask his nephew who is currently over visiting the Brownes in Australia (lucky him!)

Did you mean to say that WILLIAM WILKINSON BROWN married ELIZABETH FLORENCE LAWFORD in 1921?

I assume that you are from Aghadowey originally judging by your username. Do you know whereabouts Rose Cottage Farm was? Apparently that is where Charles Leek came to work from Magilligan. It's around Cullycapple somewhere and Jane was working at a "shop" nearby when they met.

Oh, and by the way, where can I see the return for the 1901 census you mentioned, is it online somewhere?