Author Topic: LEEKE and WILKINSON  (Read 24075 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 07:48 BST (UK) »
Here's a link to (27 May) 1866 birth for Edward Fleming Leek-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03534/2300827.pdf

I can't find any other birth registration in Newtownlimavady district for children with the same parents in 1867.

Perhaps the 1867 date was when he was baptised? In any case, as the gravestone would have been erected many years later it could simply be an error. Remember that most people didn't know exactly when they were born.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Bill Haas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 13:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply and I do understand your comments. I had considered, although it's a "statistical longshot", that perhaps Edward Fleming died in infancy, and they named another child Edward. I have seen such occurrences in my family tree. Of course, one would expect to come across a civil record of the death.

Such discrepancies always make me concerned that I personally am sharing inaccurate information.

Offline Jim78ta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 28 June 19 18:56 BST (UK) »
Good day, I apologize if I am re-posting but I am having a tough time getting a post verification.  my name is Jim Kuhns Jr.  My GG Grandparents were Hugh and Savannah (Ault) Leake of Hokendauqua.
Their son William (My G, Grandfather) married Mary Sweeney and they resided on 3rd. street in Hoendauqua.  William and Mary's Son James, and his wife Suzanne were my Grand Parents.
Hugh and Savannah passed away at a young age.  their children were raised by Hugh's Sister Mary, and her husband Mr. Junkins on Water Street in the Darktown Section of Hokendauqua.
I have a very nice picture taken in 1888 of Hugh, along with Mr. Junkins and approximately 50 other Thomas Iron Workers.  I cannot seem to upload the photo but would be glad to share.

Offline Jim78ta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 28 June 19 19:57 BST (UK) »
If this Posts, #48 is Hugh Leake and #35 is Andrew Junkins
1888 photo Thomas Iron Works Hokendauqua

Offline Bill Haas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 28 June 19 20:12 BST (UK) »
Mr. Kuhns, Mary (Leake) Junkin and her husband, Joseph are my great grandparents. Their son Andrew Junkin, my grandfather, and his daughter, Shirley Junkin, my mother. I am very interested in the connection to Andrew Junkin(s), who appears in the picture. I assume him to be family. I am in Budapest currently and do not have access to a computer, but know that Hugh Leake and Andrew Junkin(s) appear on a census record that I have and lived a few doors from each other in "Hokey". Bill Haas, Emmaus, PA, (I believe I am) your third cousin.
P.S. I connected through ancestry.com and have recently had a couple real pleasant conversations with Mr. Craig Leake regarding the family.

Offline Jim78ta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 28 June 19 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Mr. Haas, or shall I address you as Cousin Bill.......,.   
It is a pleasure to know you!

Craig is my 2nd Cousin.

I attempted to post another photo of my Great Grandparents (William and Mary) but the file was too large.  I shall try again. If you wish,  I would like to exchange family information with you when you return to the states.

Offline Bill Haas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 28 June 19 20:33 BST (UK) »
I would be happy to do so and plan to meet Craig. I need to find my relationship with Andrew Junkin(s). I believe he may be a brother of my great grandfather, Joseph, and perhaps my grandfather's namesake. He was also an iron worker. I will be home next Tuesday and will be in touch with you and Craig. Finally on the trail, this is getting interesting! Thanks to all for the help.

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 21:24 GMT (UK) »

Jennie Leek, b: abt 1876 – Daughter of George Leek and Mary Lurting, baptized at Magilligan RC, Manageress of The Portrush Hotel
Annie Leek, b: 7 Jan 1877 – Daughter of George Leek and Mary Lurting, baptized at Magilligan RC
James Leek, b: 1878
Margaret Leek, b: 4 Jan 1879 – Daughter of George Leek and Mary Lurting, Bellarena Civil Birth Record
Anna M. Leek, b: 1880 – Daughter of John, baptized Magilligan RC
Mary Leeke, b: abt 1880 - Daughter of George Leek and Mary Lurting, baptized Magilligan RC, sister of George MP
George Leeke, b: 1881  d: 30 Mar 1939 (58yrs) – Son of George and Mary baptized at Magilligan RC, nationalist politician from Oughtymoyle, had a fishery, hotel at Magilligan Point and The Portrush Hotel, Main St, Portrush (run by sisters Jennie, Maggie and Rose), is also listed as a Grain and General Merchant, Portrush. Ancient Order of Hibernians
Maggie Leek, b: abt 1882 - Daughter of George Leek and Mary Lurting, baptized Magilligan RC, sister of George MP
Annie Leeke, b: abt 1883 - Daughter of George Leek and Mary Lurting, baptized Magilligan RC, sister of George MP
Rose Whilelma Leek, b: abt 1887 - Daughter of George Leek and Mary Lurting, baptized Magilligan RC, sister of George MP
John C. Leek, b: 1887 – Son of George, baptized Magilligan RC
William Leek, b: 1890 – Son of Joseph, this may be the same William who was buried at Tamlaghtard C of I in 1893
Catherine Leek, b: 1892 – Daughter of Joseph, this may be “Cassie” who was buried at Tamlaghtard C of I in 1896
John Leek, 22 Feb 1892 – Son of George and Sarah Jane, married Sarah Ann Kelly (17/071929)
Anne Leek, b: 1893    d: 24 Jul 1896 (3 yrs) – Maybe a daughter of Joseph and Bessie, 16 Barnwall Place, Londonderry
Maggie Leek, b: 1893 - Daughter of George and Sarah J, married James Clyde (26/09/1917)   
James Leeke, b:1894 – Son of George and Sarah J, married Elizabeth Somers (25/02/1926)
Robert John Leake, b: 1894 - Son of Joseph and Bessie, 16 Barnwall Place, Londonderry. Married Maud David at Clooney C of I (26/12/1914). His occupation was Telegraph Lines man
Susan Leek, b: 1895 – Daughter of George and Sarah J, married James Reid (30/03/1916). Susan worked as a Domestic Servant (aged 15) for Daniel Patterson Stewart and wife Marguerite at 5 Columba Terrace, Londonderry. She had thirteen children and lived in Limavady
Margaret Leek, b: 1895 – Daughter of Joseph and Bessie, married Harold Richard Jackson (05/02/1925)
Dina Leek, b: 5 Oct 1895 – Daughter of George and Sarah J, married William McGranaghan (19/10/1935)
Joseph Leeke, b: 19 Nov 1897 – Son of Joseph and Bessie, married Kathleen Laird (18/03/1920)
Robert Leek, 1897    d: 28 Mar 1898 (1 yr) – Son of George and Sarah J
George Leek, b: 1898    d: 12 Mar 1920 (21 yrs) – Son of George and Sarah J
Mary Leeke, b: 1899 – Daughter of Joseph and Bessie, married John Smyth Walker (12/06/1924)
Sarah Jane Leek, b: 1899 – Daughter of George and Sarah J, married Robert John Morrison (16/12/1920)
Catherine Leeke, b: 1900 – Daughter of Joseph and Bessie, known as Cassie
William Leek, b: 11 Oct 1900 – Son of George

You can see photographs of George Leeke (c1833-1908)  and his son George Leeke MP (1881-1939) on this link.

http://www.ulstergenealogyandlocalhistoryblog.com/2021/02/george-leeke-c1833-1908-of-magilligan.html?m=1