Author Topic: HIGGINS/O'KANE family, Glenullin/Garvagh  (Read 51883 times)

Offline Cianachta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HIGGINS/O'KANE family, Glenullin/Garvagh
« Reply #90 on: Thursday 28 January 21 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Kiltaglassan!

I am a Grandson of James O'Kane (Róise) [02 Aug 1915 - 04 Jul 1994], originally from Róise's Corner, Glenullin, and I'm interested in broadening my history of Glenullin, my family history, and my ancestors from there.

I have collected quite a bit over the years, but just want it to be as complete as it can be, as this has always really fascinated me.

This is my Granda's gravestone, at the other side of the mountain, in Dungiven, Co. Derry:

I see that he appears in Reply #11 by @Gabriel.D in a great photo of Lisnascreagh School 1926, where he is in the far left, in the 2nd row from the front. Lovely to see that photo! Thanks

Attachment added.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: HIGGINS/O'KANE family, Glenullin/Garvagh
« Reply #91 on: Thursday 28 January 21 19:19 GMT (UK) »
John and Bridget married on 11 Jul 1867 in Dungiven, Co. Derry, Witnesses Pat McCloskey and Betty McCloskey. Info from vital records of Ireland. According to their marriage record, John, 30, was from Coolosky son of Michael a farmer. Bridget, age 30, spinster, resides at Cluntygeeragh, her father Michael.

Here's the link:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1867/11502/8229757.pdf
Married in Dungiven RC Church. The townland of Cluntygeeragh.
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/keenaght/dungiven/cluntygeeragh/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo