Author Topic: Finding my Great Grandmother grave  (Read 2614 times)

Offline clairekidson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding my Great Grandmother grave
« on: Tuesday 09 February 10 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the best way to go about finding my G Grandmothers resting place, she died in 1927 in Bishops Stortford, from other family member we have been told that she was buried in Bishops Stortford.

How do i go about finding whereabouts she is. Do the local town council or someone hold records.

She was born Elizabeth Rose Hoskins, but on all the census and to her family she was known as Rose, She married Frederick Andrews, On the death register is is down as Rose Andrews.

Can someone point me the right direction as her daughter has never visited her grave and she is 82 now and i said i would try and find it!!

Looking forward to your replies

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Finding my Great Grandmother grave
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire,and welcome to Rootschat.

Bishops Stortford have 2 cemeteries,why don't you try and email to them first and see how you get on.

http://www.bishopsstortfordtc.gov.uk/cemeteries.htm

Good luck

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clairekidson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 18:56 GMT (UK) »
I have been on the site you recomended, and have emailed the link there, it was about a week ago, but i have had no response. (as yet) We spent Saturday afternoon walking round the cemetry too, but no luck, it is massive!!

Also i have read on here about people looking for newspaper reports, is there a site that holds old newspapers, how do i go about this

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 20:03 GMT (UK) »
I don't know about local newspapers as I'm not local  ;)

But try the Hertfordshire Record Office for advice.
They also have local newspapers right the way back,so might be able to find an obituary for your Gt Gran in 1927 saying which cemetery she went to.

http://www.hertsdirect.org/libsleisure/heritage1/HALS/

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 March 10 14:38 GMT (UK) »
What I have done in the past is during the week when there are staff on site, visit the office for the cemetary.  They often have record books there (some are even computerised!!), they may be able to look up where a person is buried.  The year is a great help.  If they are good they may also be able to tell you if it is a single plot or if anyone else is there.

I must say that I have found the staff at cemeteries very helpful,  I even had 2 lads going up and down aisles looking for particular grave that I had looked long and hard for.  It turned out the numbers on the graves were all running numerically in one line & then totally different sequence halfway down the next line.  No wonder I was confused.  It was not even my family, doing a favour for someone on here!!  But got the desired result a photo of the grave & surround. 

But one thing I have noticed on many of my graveyard visits is just how many are unmarked.  Far more than many of us would expect, even with the poverty of the past, it is really quite amazing.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)