Author Topic: Where is Cae Clogyn  (Read 20294 times)

Offline juemc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Cae Clogyn
« Reply #27 on: Monday 16 July 12 12:56 BST (UK) »
Have just read this thread and find this story of Joseph Guest and Cae Clogyn or Clogwyn very interesting..... Joseph Guest is my Great Grandmothers brother and ive never heard of this before.  Its all very interesting!! I have been looking if I can obtain a copy of the North Wales Guardian and London Gazette for this time but cannot find anything.  If anybody could let me know how to get hold of it and have any other information I would be extremely grateful.
Regards
Julie McNair

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 16 July 12 13:37 BST (UK) »
As well as the 1901 incident Sydney was involved in a court case in June 1883. The Manchester Courier entitled it "A Welsh Girl's Revenge".

Sydney is described as ".... niece to William Jones, a farmer residing at Cae Clogwyn".

regards

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 16 July 12 15:29 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D
Very interesting, especially as it names the father of her child Margaret Florence Jones , he was David Roberts.

I found  a report in another paper,  she threatened to throw a bucket of manure over David Roberts,  again a gun was involved.
I must have been like the Wild West up Cymmau way .

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 16 July 12 15:49 BST (UK) »
Yes,
There are reports in several papers - a great story.

No wonder "Cae Clogwyn" was used to threaten in earlier days!

regards

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandad Joseph Woodcock
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 16 July 12 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie, this link takes you to the London Gazette Home Page.  On the right hand side half way down you'll see a link for Historians.  Click one of the search options - they're both quite straightforward to use.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/

Regards, Phil.
Sands Frain Moore Woodcock Loft Snowden

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 16 July 12 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie, this link takes you to the London Gazette Home Page.  On the right hand side half way down you'll see a link for Historians.  Click one of the search options - they're both quite straightforward to use.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/

Regards, Phil.

I can`t find anything at all about the incident, it seems to be all legal notices.

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 09:04 BST (UK) »
Have just read this thread and find this story of Joseph Guest and Cae Clogyn or Clogwyn very interesting..... Joseph Guest is my Great Grandmothers brother and ive never heard of this before. Its all very interesting!! I have been looking if I can obtain a copy of the North Wales Guardian and London Gazette for this time but cannot find anything. If anybody could let me know how to get hold of it and have any other information I would be extremely grateful.
Regards
Julie McNair

Hi Julie, I think we've been in touch via GenesReunited a few years ago?
Your great grandmother, Eleanor "Ellen" Kirkham (nee Guest) married 2nd husband Thomas "Tom" Henry Ernest Gould (who was my great granduncle, for he was brother to my great grandfather, Herbert William Gould.... we have a case of two brothers marrying two sisters,.. well, half-sisters).
I have Ellen and Tom's children down as Doris and Thomas Ernest "Ernie" Gould. Was Doris your grandmother, and were her children: Constance  Gould  Ankers, Ronald Gould Ankers, and Frank Gould Ankers? Which line do you descend from?

That bit that Wilcoxon mentioned:

I found  a report in another paper,  she threatened to throw a bucket of manure over David Roberts,  again a gun was involved.
I must have been like the Wild West up Cymmau way .

was very interesting!

Burgess (Warwickshire), Chenoweth (Middlesex), Cleland (Scotland), Dick (Yorkshire), Escreet/Escritt/Eskrett (Yorkshire), Evans (Yorkshire), Felton (Solihull, Warwickshire), Gould (Cheshire and Flintshire), Guest (Cheshire and Flintshire), Hasting/Hastings (Yorkshire), Hickson (Durham and Yorkshire), Little (Nth Ireland and NZ), Mattheus/Matthews (South Africa), Nicolson (NZ), Sanderson (Hull, Yorkshire), Shelley(Staffordshire), Southee (Kent), Summers (Fife and Glasgow), Turner, van Aardt (RSA)

Offline juemc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 19 July 12 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel

Thats right we were in touch a few years ago.  We both come from the Guest Line and very interesting its turning out to be too..... Yes my Grandmother was Doris Gould and my Father was Ronald Ankers (my maiden name being Ankers).

I came across this forum and this story last Friday and have been quite excited about the whole thing that I went into our local History Museum yesterday to get a copy of the story from the North Wales Guardian.  Its quite a story!!  Whilst I was there the gentleman who was in charge told me that somebody else had recently looked up info on this story and they were from Australia.  I knew it must have been you due to our past comunication.

I have very little in the way of photos of the Guest and Gould side of the family and would be very grateful if you have any that I could have.  Any photos that I have of my Great Grand Mother Eleanor Guest (kirkham/Gould), Thomas Gould, Doris Gould, and my father and aunty and uncle I would glady share.  If you want to share these my email addy is (*).

Hope to hear from you soon
Julie

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 03 September 12 14:35 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=613363.new;topicseen#new

Have been searching in vain for the illustration   ???