Author Topic: Ridgeway Gatehouse, Edgton  (Read 973 times)

Offline treeworm

• RootsChat Member
  • Barking up the trees
    • View Profile
Ridgeway Gatehouse, Edgton
« on: Wednesday 10 February 10 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi all  ;D,

In 1891 my gt gt gt grandfther lived at or next to Ridgeway Gatehouse, Edgton. He was a farmer. Does the Gatehouse still exist? In google searches I come up with Ridgeway Farm, would this be the same place? But can't find any pics of it.

Any help most welcome  ;D, Gillian

(My gt3 grandad was Charles Anslow b 1815, Stokesay.)

Crossley, Leeds
Skipsey, South Kilvington & Leeds
Frost, York, Leeds
Anslow, Shropshire
Wild, Leeds
Halton, Clapham & Leeds
Hill, Tickhill, Yorkshire
Thomas, Leeds
Edwards, Shropshire
Woolley, Leeds
Mountain- Kirkby Overblow
Camm- Bentham
Pybus- East Cowton

Offline IndisVanyar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great grandfather James Nevitt 1850-1921
    • View Profile
Re: Ridgeway Gatehouse, Edgton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 February 10 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillian

I have some photos of Ridgeway for you. This is a tiny collection of dwellings that lie outside Edgton itself. I could not identify a dwelling called Gate House  and the one local I spoke to was no wiser either but the photos will give you a feel for the place. She did however tell me that Ridgeway Farm was once a Toll House and originally had a thatched roof.  There seem to be four buildings in the hamlet itself that would have been there in 1891 but there may well be other farms that fall under the name Ridgeway that I didn't see today as they are even more off the beaten track than Ridgeway.
If you can PM me an email address I will forward the images on to you. I am staying in Lydbury North itself for the weekend so took the opportunity to do some exploring on your behalf ;)

Best wishes

Nell

Kitching Elsbury Lawrence Last Ellington Govier Pawsey Rice Nevitt Napier Seymour

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk