Author Topic: Gt Arthur Street, Smethwick  (Read 6066 times)

Offline billy56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Gt Arthur Street, Smethwick
« on: Friday 18 March 05 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me who lived at 4 Gt.Arthur Street, Smethwick between 1886 - 1907 ?
I can't find my Law family on the 1901 census but know they lived in St George Street  when married and children born, 1885 onwards. I have a family bible and Gt Arthur street is mentioned.
Many thanks
LAW West Bromwich, BUTTON Weedon, HINETT Birmingham, HOLLOWAY West Bromwich, WARNER Finedon.

Offline Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gt Arthur Street, Smethwick
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 April 05 18:09 BST (UK) »
Do you have any first names for the family.

There are Lwas in the area but not in St George or Gt Arthur Street

Carol
Dudley, Brierley Hill, Round Oak, Netherton.
Williams, Skidmore, Palmer, Ward.
Oldbury, Smethwick, West Bromwich.
Griffiths, Dyson, Hughes, Cockbill

Offline billy56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 05 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
thanks for reply. My Law family in Smethwick are JOHN LAW, his wife ELIZA, daughters ELIZABETH ANN, ELIZA, ANN and son JOHN R. On1891 they lived in 116 St George street but on birth certficates etc they are also at 106 St George street.
Cant find them on 1901 even though I know they are there somewhere and the children grow up, marry and have children in WB or Smethwick.
Any help appreciated.
LAW West Bromwich, BUTTON Weedon, HINETT Birmingham, HOLLOWAY West Bromwich, WARNER Finedon.

Offline Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 April 05 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have found a rather large Law family which seems to fit the bill. They are now living in Brasshouse Lane at no 14.
I have attched a list for you.

The census is RG13 / 2822 Page 5 Folio 113.

Hope this helps
Carol

Offline billy56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 April 05 23:48 BST (UK) »
Carol
You are so brilliant - I cant thank you enough. Although your findings do somewhat confuse me too !!
JOHN and ELIZA had 4 children as afar as I knew about, other Law families had children with the names Albert, Lilly etc - now it seems they belong to my family which is growing all the time.
Cant believe they are in Brasshouse Lane, Ive scoured the 1901 census without luck and virtually gave up on them - though they are absolutely vital to my research as my maternal and paternal side are linked to these family !! ( long story which I wont bore you with) but does mean they are vital to me.

My Dad's Mother Lucy Button came from Brasshouse Lane and is shown on the 1901 census there - fancy another of my trees living a few doors away - small world and all that.

Many, many thanks - I shall try and find them using the ref. number etc and bring my tree more uptodate.
Karen

Offline Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 April 05 09:17 BST (UK) »
No problem glad to help.
I know the feeling. Your family seems to be on the same wave length as my own - my parents are cousins!!! and there is a strong indication of another link between to the family farther back.
And a small world....... I have just discovered that my Mothers G.G grandfather actually lived yards from where she is now.
Strange world

Offline billy56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 April 05 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol
can't help wondering how you found this entry ? I looked on the 1901 when census when it was first released and no joy, then over the years I have tried different searches etc and not found them so I would love to know what you did.
Entering any of the household details didnt get me anywhere on the nationalarchives search but when I put the reference you gave me in ithe entry came straight up and a printed a copy no problem.
How weiord is that.
Thanks again

Offline Williams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 April 05 09:20 BST (UK) »

I use the Ancestry.co.uk (com) website. (A lot). Find it very useful and well worth the money to join as you search 1871, 1881, 1891 & 1901 census plus loads of other lists,there is a link on my site www.williams-site.org/ .you can try for free.
I had a clue as I had heard of Gt Arthur Street with researching my husbands family also from the Smethwick area. So I looked through the census for St George & Gt Arthur  street no joy.
I entered Law as a surname search, there was a long list. Once I had some names it was then easier to pin them down.

Offline billy56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 April 05 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
well I remain very grateful. I wondered about joining ancestry.com scheme and shall now sign up as I can see how worthwhile it woould be.
happy hunting