Author Topic: 1871 melbourne to sydney passenger lists  (Read 3104 times)

Offline dentony1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1871 melbourne to sydney passenger lists
« on: Thursday 11 February 10 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone tell me if such a list is available either 0n-line or at a research centre?
In particular I'm trying to trace ancestors who traveled from Sydney to Melbourne circa 1871 and I presume they did so by ship.  Of course it's possible they traveled by land but I'm working on a water voyage theory as he was a sailor.
I know there was a  ferry service between the two city and that people could also catch a vessel traveling from overseas eg. London via Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart etc.
These people were not immigrants so won't appear on any incoming immigrant lists, at least I wouldn't have thought so.
any suggestion gratefully appreciated.

regards
Debra

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 melbourne to sydney passenger lists
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 February 10 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

There's lots of names on the newspapers online site, and, perhaps your family's name is mentioned...  Here's the link, to the National Library of Australia's online newspaper's current beta site.   You can limit their search by date and/or by newspaper and/or by keyword etc. 

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

Fingers crossed you find them listed there. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline dentony1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 February 10 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, name is Smith so won't be easy but it is a start.
They came from WA to Sydney & I tried the website for incoming into Sydney but it's still incomplete and so I had no luck.

kind regards
Debra

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 February 10 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debra,

Smith  ;D  hope it was not John and Mary ...

My John and Mary Smith arrived in NSW from Wellington NZ in 1881 .... and err ... his occupation "wood carter", Ag Lab, and labourer etc... If you suspect your Mr & Mrs Smith could have been involved in the work at Prospect Reservoir, or in 1890's lived in the Fairfield district, or in the 1900's lived in the Parramatta district, please let me know, as I have various "Smith" documents from those decades.  There were at least two Smith couples named John & Mary in that little community on the north eastern  side of the construction site in the 1880's  ;D

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 February 10 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Are you searching for Melbourne to Sydney as per your topic heading or Sydney to Melbourne as stated in your first message?

If its Melbourne to Sydney then you could try the PROV index of Outward Passengers from Melbourne.

http://proarchives.imagineering.com.au/index_search.asp?searchid=42

One thing to note with online indexes is that where Ports are mentioned they seem to relate to the ship rather than the passengers. ie the index may show a destination but thats where the ship is going rather than where the passenger is disembarking.

Andy

Offline dentony1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 February 10 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM - no they weren't connected to what you have listed but thanks.  Although the christian name's not much better than John, it's Charles!

Hi Andy, they traveled from Sydney to Melbourne having first arrived in Sydney from Western Australia.  Knowing Charles they did a quick exit out of town too probably owing money and there is always the chance they traveled under false names too.  Thanks for the help

Debra