Author Topic: Edwards of Kildrumferton  (Read 4621 times)

Offline ands777

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edwards of Kildrumferton
« on: Thursday 11 February 10 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi any helpers. The person I'm trying to research is Isaac who was a steward around 1866. Not sure what capacity.

I have the marriage certificate of his son John Edwards a police man to Mary Stephens  on 15/03/1866.   Mary's father was a farmer. Regarding the marriage, the parish was KILDRUMFERTON. They were church of Ireland. He was from Kilnaleck, she Aghagegna.
I have his son John's police records, placing his birth at about 1833 . Of corse he moved to Camlough and they had a son John Henry 1870. I think i have popped a fue brain cells trying to find any leads on Isaac. Decided to go to Cavan this Saturday with my brother over from Melbourne just  to see the land.

regards,

Andy

Offline ands777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edwards of Kildrumferton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 February 10 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Just to add that on the police records it has John's native county as Westmeath. No trace of an Isaac there.  I have  found  one Isaac Edwards and thats in Tipperary. Is Isaac a odd name, or are the records hidden in a church wine cellar. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 February 10 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Several points here since you might be new to Irish research.
Firstly, police weren't, as far as I know, allowed to serve in their home county and were transfered to other areas. The marriage certificate shows the groom's residence at the time of the marriage.
Secondly, father's name and occupation listed on marriage certificate doesn't mean that father was still alive at the time of the marriage. Also, if Isaac was a land steward he could have moved to a different area because of his job.

There's a death in civil index for an Isaac Edwards in 1885 (age 70 so born c1815) in Urlingford registration district (Tipperary or Kilkenny)- probably too young to be the Isaac you are looking for. However, if Isaac died before 1864 there will be no death certificate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ands777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 February 10 23:55 GMT (UK) »
thanks,  yes im about 4 weeks old in research, apart frrom a 2 week go 10 years ago.  we were told about the home county shift of work for the police force. His work was in Longford, Kildare, Armagh/Camlough and Cavan. A war researcher threw in the police search also thinking it was a no helper, but it had the date of marriage for his wife matching a marriage certificate that matched place of work for John, that been Cavan, and of corse Westmeath as Johns native county. The war research came up with nothing new. I have a history of marriage book that has all sorts of young ages for marriage going back years ago. i phoned Mullingar libary today and the lady said most of the parish records have not been published, and many are in Dublin for Church of Ireland. And that we would need to know the parish if going for a search. not that im tring to quote her exactly, but that was the gist of what she said. If we find a marriage certificate with an Isaac as a steward and a church of Ireland man surely its in the bag. Just if thats going to happen is unknown. thanks for the leads. keepim comin. i spent 5 hours scratching my internet brain with a zero today :P

Offline ands777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 February 10 00:20 GMT (UK) »
didn't come across the c1815 Urlington. but i came across the marriage in 1933 in Templeharrry of Isaac to Maria Hunt. church of Ireland. ifhf. but it didn't  have a mention of profession. if he was 18 when he had John that sounds ok.  then strange enough there was another earlier record. a baptism/birth 1830, with a John Edwards been born at parish Kilcornan and Stonehall. Maria Edwards as the mother. and John Hewson as the father. if ive work John Hewson out he was about 55, as born in Rathkeale. but 1830 is too old for John. and this Mary Edwards was Catholic.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 February 10 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Do you actually have a record which gives John's religion as Church of Ireland? Marrriages usually took place in the brides' church so John's religion can't be assumed by the marriage place alone.

Offline ands777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 February 10 23:40 GMT (UK) »
The police records show under Religion 'Ps' for John. Out of the 10 others on the printed page 2 are Ps, and the rest Cs. I  may have jumped to the church of Ireland conclusion for John. Are Methodist protestant also. And what about Quakers?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 February 10 10:18 GMT (UK) »
'Protestant' covers all sorts of denominations- Church of Ireland, Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist, Congregationalist, etc. Are you sure 'Ps' mean Protestant and not Presbyterian?

Offline ands777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 February 10 21:54 GMT (UK) »
The marriage certificate of the police man has his denomination, and his wife as separate entries and they are both Church of Ireland. I will post the next post as to how I got to were I am in the last four weeks as its a bit self taught.