Author Topic: Edwards of Kildrumferton  (Read 4619 times)

Offline ands777

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edwards of Kildrumferton
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 February 10 21:58 GMT (UK) »
 Four weeks ago our family thought we were only from Scottish background and only had a birth certificate of  1902 for grandfather, a soldier born Stirling. (we have had previous  information through medals, and other history, and my research 10 years ago) I then found the grandfather and great grandfather in the 1911 census. Gt. grandfather as a soldier on a military base in Aldershot with his wife and her maiden name as a match to our present sir name. It gets a bit complex here as our grandfather changed his sir name to his mothers maiden name as his father left him for good when he was 12. The census record also had the step son, and the two other sons and this great grandfather's second wife. I found this great grandfather's birth cirtificate and marriage certificate to his first wife who we new had died shortly after giving birth to her first son, that being the son born in Stirling . So going back a generation with detale from census and marriage cert., this placed his birth at Camolough, and his father as a policeman. From there our war researcher found the police records of the great grandfather, based on no other near matches in age, and the Co Armagh as the area of registration as match to sons birth county. From there I found a marriage certificate based on date of marriage from police records, and place of work in police records, as one of the places of work being Co Cavan.

Offline ands777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 February 10 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Correction. The 1911 census didn't have wife match to our present surname, as he was with his second wife by that time. We have the sir name of his first wife who died shortly after birth. But the children on that census are a clear match in age and name to our records.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 February 10 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Have you found them in 1901 census yet? If not, it should soon be added to National Archives website.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ands777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 February 10 01:31 GMT (UK) »
On the 1902 marriage certificate it states the father, a police pensioner as deceased, so he died before reaching up to 69 because the police records  place his birth as 1833. This deducted by first placement Longford 1/8/1854 when 21. He may have been alive the year before. And his wife too.  The son in 1901 would have been probably staying near were he was married in Chatham. Although he was involved in military service to Pretoria SA, this has been confirmed in 1905 were his son was born in Pretoria. The first wife died soon after 1904 in Patoria also. I just looked at National Archives. Didn't seem to find much.