Author Topic: Re- James Maguire  (Read 3765 times)

Offline weemanswife

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re- James Maguire
« on: Thursday 11 February 10 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to trace information about a James Maguire, born 31 Oct 1889 to Thomas Maguire and Janet McIntosh.  He was a twin.  I know he joined the Canadian Over-seas Expeditionary Force in 1915. 

I have been told he married, had twins and lived in Alberta.

weemanswife 

Anderson, Arrnott, Alexander,Brand,McKay,Rattray,Maguire,Green,Wallace,McLaggan,Guild,Ferguson,Donaldson

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Re- James Maguire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 February 10 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Have you ordered his military file, topic Soldiers of the First World War from
www.collectionscanada.gc.ca

You can view his attestation papers at this site and also order his military file. There could be follow-up information in the file.

His regiment # 442425

It looks like he was a hunter/trapper and joined the CEF in Vernon, BC

Do you have any other information at all such as when he married and if he married in Canada. Any information that you can give us will make him easier to find. If he made return trips to Scotland, someone may be able to find a passenger list for him.

Offline weemanswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 February 10 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I downloaded his Attestation Paper from Ancestry.  I assume he married in Canada.  Sorry I do not have any other information.

Weemanswife
Anderson, Arrnott, Alexander,Brand,McKay,Rattray,Maguire,Green,Wallace,McLaggan,Guild,Ferguson,Donaldson

Offline weemanswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 February 10 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have just found a marriage for James Maguire.  He married a Jessie Morrison (domestic servant) on the 22 March 1918.  He is listed as a Lumberman (Sergent, 8th Field Co. Canadian Engineers. His ur. is given as Nelson British Columbia, .................. Derbyshire, England.  I will go back to the passenger lists as I came accross one with hi8m and his wife.

Weemanswife

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 February 10 18:08 GMT (UK) »
There is a Form 30A for Jessie Maguire, 31, b. Dryloch Forfar Dundee County of Forfar, Presbyterian, Father - John Morrison Address Finitry Police Station Dundee.  Purpose in going to Canada - to join husband, James Maguire Cochrane, Alberta

James and Jessie Maguire, 39 and 40 respectively, travelled from Montreal to Liverpool on the duchess of Atoll arriving 15 June 1929 going to 32 William St. Dundee.  He was an engine operator

James and Jessie Maguire, both 40, James b. Whitfield Scotland in Canada from 1912 - June 1929 and Jessie b. Ruthven, Alyth Scotland in Canada from 1920 -1929.  James was a gas engine operator for Canadian Pacific Railway.  They lived in Cochrane, Alberta.  They gave her mother - Betty Morrison of 32 William St. Dundee as their British contact.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 February 10 18:19 GMT (UK) »

Offline weemanswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 February 10 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thank you very much for your information.  I came accross the form about Jessie going to Canada but was unable to get a print out of it.  Will try again.  Any idea where I can search for their deaths in Canada as I presume they died there.  I don't think I will find any children.

Weemanswife

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 February 10 19:15 GMT (UK) »
http://www.cochranetimes.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2214169
There is a follow-up history book of Cochrane being published.

The first history of Cochrane does list a James Maguire
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~abarchiv/rockyview/pubbhc.txt

Alberta does not have online access to any BMD records.  Apparently they are available through the Provincial Archives but they are filed by where the event took place not by name.
http://www.culture.alberta.ca/archives/referenceservices/genealogy.aspx
Any death over 50 years old can be ordered by anyone but the cost for out of province residents is $40.00
http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/766.cfm

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 February 10 19:34 GMT (UK) »
http://cochranepubliclibrary.ca/
Link to the Cochrane library.  They have a "Ask a Question" link at the bottom of the page.  Perhaps you could request they look up James in the Big Hill Country book for you.

Debbie