Author Topic: wee Robin looking for Cameron Mason  (Read 3184 times)

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
  • I shall have to go back through the looking-glass
    • View Profile
wee Robin looking for Cameron Mason
« on: Thursday 11 February 10 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Marion Cameron Mason

1 Marion Cameron Mason. Born on 15 Sep 1888 in Glasgow Wilton, Scotland.1 Marion Cameron Robin died in Glasgow, Glasgow City, Scotland, on 5 Jan 1972; she was 83.2 years old.

On 26 Nov 1915 when Marion Cameron Mason was 27, she married *William Robin Jr(1874-1963) in 154 West George Street, Glasgow.

James William Mason.4 Born about 1855 in Gorbals, Glasgow, Scotland. James William Mason died in Legerwood, Berwickshire. His occupation was a journeyman mason.

On 18 Dec 1879 when James William Mason was 24, he married * Jessie Cameron 4 in Lauder, Berwickshire, Scotland.1

I have attempted to find further information on my maternial great-grandparents.
I have been successful in finding a great deal of family ROBIN history via wills, birth, death and marriage records.
At this point I can't find anything more on my grandmothers side the Cameron and Mason. Could not come up with marriage record for my grandmothers parents. Any suggestions? Am I inthe right place?

Sources

1. “MASON, MARION CAMERON Statutory Births,” 1888, Image.
2. “ROBIN, MARION CAMERON ms MASON Statutory Deaths,” 1972, Scotland’s People/Ancestry.com/World Family Tree, Internet, OneWorldTree/Ancestry.com.
3. “ROBIN/MASON Statutory Marriages,” 1915, Scotland’s People, Image.
4. “MASON, JAMES WILLIAM,” Scotland Census, 1841, 1861, 1881, Ancestry.com.

As Alice said:
"...if I don't make haste, I shall have to go back through the looking-glass...back into the old room-and there'd be an end of all my adventures!"

???Sending my 'curiouser & curiouser' thoughts through the looking-glass.
Karola

Robin  =O:> Glasgow, Scotland and England
Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
       Buchanan Gilkerson [of Kentucky],
               Meikljohn, Eltze.
Walter Robin 1719-1784 & Isabel Gardner 1724-1769

...if I don't make haste, I shall have to go back through the looking-glass...back into the old room-and there'd be an end of all my adventures! .

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: wee Robin looking for Cameron Mason
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 February 10 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karola  :)

I started by asking lots of questions about James Mason and Jessie Cameron's marriage but re-read your post to see that you haven't been able to find the 1879 marriage. Was this date included on Marion's birth cert? The marriage could have been what is called an 'irregular marriage' and as such won't show on the statutory registers.

I'm confused though - if you haven't been able to find this 1879 marriage, what is the source of the info that you have posted regarding James William Mason (his age at marriage and place of birth)?

Have you managed to find Marion on the censuses after she was born?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 February 10 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Aahhh, but do you have the death cert. of James William Mason? You say he died in Legerwood, Berwickshire.

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 February 10 22:17 GMT (UK) »
I know  you said James William was born in the Gorbals, Glasgow but just in case:

From 1861:

Alexander Mason 48, hedger b. Legerwood, Berwickshire
Charlotte Mason 49 b. Melrose, Roxburghshire
Alexander Mason 11 b. Legerwood, Berwickshire
James William Mason 6 b. Legerwood, Berwickshire

Address: Woodhead, Lauder, Berwickshire

And in 1871:

Alexander Mason 58, Ag Labourer
Charlotte Mason 39 b. Melrose, Roxburghshire
William T Mason 16, mason.....I am wondering whether James changed between William and James?
William W Mason 5, grandson, b. Lauder, Berwickshire
Margaret H Mason 2, granddaughter, b. Lauder, Berwickshire
Eliza Armstrong 57, servant

Address: Woodheads, Lauder, Berwickshire

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 February 10 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Possible for James William in 1881 - can't tell what his marital status is from the transcript:

William J Mason, 26, mason, b. Blair Weary, Berwick lodging at the Sanderson household in Edinburgh.

Can't easily see anything for him after this census  :-\

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 February 10 22:37 GMT (UK) »
This could be Jessie staying with her Mason in-laws for 1881 (although given the way the entry is written up, were they in-laws?):

Alexander Mason 68, general lab., b. Legerwood, Berwickshire
Charlote Mason 69, Melrose, Roxburghshire
John Mason 5, grandson, b. Lauder, Berwickshire
John Cameron 1, Grandson, b. Lauder
Jessie Cameron 25, visitor, servant, b. Hillmaly (?Kilmallie, Argyleshire

Address: Newbigging, Lauder Berwickshire

Looking at this entry, with young John Cameron showing as grandson, I would have a question mark as to whether Jessie Cameron and James William were married at this stage even though you had a date for their marriage of 1879  :-\ Hopefully, a check on the 1881 census would let you confirm this Jessie's marital status. Also perhaps John Cameron's birth entry might give you some info.

Possible related entry for 1891:

Charlotte Mason 80, b. Melrose
John C(ameron?) Mason 11, grandson, b. Lauder, Berwickshire
Robert Grieve 42 lodger

Address: Newbigging Farm - Cottage, Lauder Berwickshire

Monica

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 February 10 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks you, Monica.

I will have to go back and see how I got the place and date of death of James Wm Mason.  I do have my grandmother's (Marion Cameron Mason) birth record from Scotland's People and indicated that her parents married 18 December 1879 Lauder, Berwickshire. I also did find the SCT 1861 census with mother as Charlotte and father Alexander for JWM.

I will go to Scotland's People and see where that takes me. I have found some good copies of records for my Grandfather's side Robin/Neilson family from Glasgow.
I was concentrating on my mother's father (Robin/Neilson) side of the family. However I think I have at this point progressed as far as I can go on the Internet search. Wish I could go and spend time researching at The Mitchell or local libraries. Next will be if possible to find grave sites but that is another almost impossible task. Found many very good clues and facts via wills etc. total 6 lairs at Eastern Necropolis and Janefield. Found four family members buried at Cardonald Cemetery. So there is hope!   Thanks for encouraging me to enter my names on Cameron/Mason. I had nothing on Jessie Cameron. This is so fascinating. Nice of you to look up the names. Always welcome some help.

When I have some time I will also post the names on the extra birth/marriage/death records they may help some one by chance.

Sending my 'curiouser & curiouser' thoughts through the looking-glass.Karola

Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
               Meikljohn, Eltze.

...if I don't make haste, I shall have to go back through the looking-glass...back into the old room-and there'd be an end of all my adventures! .

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 February 10 23:44 GMT (UK) »
I will go over what you have found and see what seems to connect. I had more verbal information on my grandfather's side of the family which helped. My grandmother was very tight lipped about many things. She did not even let my grandfather talk about his travels she always 'whishted ' him to be quiet.

Thanks again!
As Alice said:
"...if I don't make haste, I shall have to go back through the looking-glass...back into the old room-and there'd be an end of all my adventures!"
Sending my 'curiouser & curiouser' thoughts through the looking-glass.
Karola
Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
               Meikljohn, Eltze.

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 February 10 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Since I don't know anything about the family history of the Cameron/Mason side I can only guess that the census tends to fit time wise. You are probably right regarding the marriage of JWM & JC. They may not have married or may have but not registered it. Can't get anything on them via Scotland's People. Interesting!

Well I will keep searching. 8)
Karola

I still have questions on other lines in the family but that is for another topic and another day. The research goes on!
Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
               Meikljohn, Eltze.