Author Topic: Herring/Herrings/Heron/Herren/Herron  (Read 2935 times)

Offline Ange The Cat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Herring/Herrings/Heron/Herren/Herron
« on: Thursday 11 February 10 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for any links to the Berwick on Tweed (Greenses) Herring/Herrings/Heron/Herren/Herron family. David Herrings born 1850 Berwick on Tweed, I believe but i'm not 100% sure his father was Robert Herren. David moved to Hartlepool and married Mary Jane Farnham in1879. Has anyone any info on David's family to confirm the link to Robert Herren ? I believe David's mother was Jane nee Buglass.

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Herring/Herrings/Heron/Herren/Herron
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 February 10 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ange the Cat,
Robert and Jane Herrin, 1861 census, living at the Greens, Berwick.  Robert was a Fisherman, aged 37, born Yarmouth; wife, Jane 30; David 10, Thomas 3, Peter 1, all born Berwick.
In 1871 they were living at Low Green, Berwick. There were another 2 children, Jane 6, Robert 3. David was a fisherman.
Sorry if you have all this but wasn't sure.
By the way, the  Berwick of the census is in Northumberland, England. Berwickshire, Scotland  is often confused with it.
Perhaps they had a Toll marriage.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline Ange The Cat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello and thank you for that information which I definately didn't have. Question though..what's a toll marriage?
Thank you so much for the reply it is appreciated and i'll follow it up. Cheers again. Angela

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 February 10 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Angela,
Toll marriages were irregular border marriages eg this toll house still stands at Coldstream
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/93195
More info here:
http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/files2/family-records/irregular-border-and-scottish-runaway-marriages.pdf
You can also go to the Northumberland board, then  Look Up Offers and find the topic ' Irregular Marriages Recorded in Border Papers' and see what to do.
Best wishes,
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline Ange The Cat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 February 10 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Rae, you're a gem..will do and thanks v much for your kind advice. x