Author Topic: ROBIN Family of Glasgow, Scotland  (Read 12458 times)

Offline Rosegum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROBIN Family of Glasgow, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 04:46 BST (UK) »
Yes I am in Australia and would love to continue to discuss the family butI can't find the "little green scroll" so need your help.   Yes Walter ROBIN 1861 - 1936 brother of William & others & s/o Robert ROBIN & Janet MCCARTNEY.  J

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 August 10 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi team,

A NEILSON family researcher looking for some ROBINS ...  :)

You need to post one more time Rosegum and then you can send a PM.

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
  • I shall have to go back through the looking-glass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 August 10 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi team,

A NEILSON family researcher looking for some ROBINS ...  :)

You need to post one more time Rosegum and then you can send a PM.

Hello Mk2,

Yes, it takes team work. I have been having so much fun!

Rosegum and I are 5th cousins once removed!? 

Re: Neilson/Robin
My (Wm ROBIN Jr. 1874-1963) grandfather's mother was Jane Neilson (1851-1885) daughter of John Neilson of Oakbank Iron Works elder brother of James Beaumont 'Hot Blast' Neilson.. She was widowed in 1874 then in 1883 married James Buchanan Gilkerson a Scot-American.  He was born in Vermont and lived in Kentucky.
The Robin and the Buchanan/ Gilkerson's have a common ancestor Walter Robin (1719-1784) & Isabel Gardner (1724-1769). 

We are all six degrees! What a small world after all.
~thoughts through my looking-glass~
k

~The search goes on...
Robin  =O:> Glasgow, Scotland and England
Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
       Buchanan Gilkerson [of Kentucky],
               Meikljohn, Eltze.
Walter Robin 1719-1784 & Isabel Gardner 1724-1769

...if I don't make haste, I shall have to go back through the looking-glass...back into the old room-and there'd be an end of all my adventures! .

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 03:25 BST (UK) »

Yes, Jane was the daughter of John NEILSON (of Oakbank) and his second wife Catherine TWADDLE.

She had two sisters, Catherine and Margaret and one brother Walter.

Jane was not followed on, because of the common name.  :-\

Amazing the way I found Catherine Neilson ROBIN was the same as her first cousin Catherine Neilson PATON also born 1870 ish !

But anyhow, I have opened her (Jane) file now and await any information you feel like passing on. esp any certs of the early years.

As is my normal hunting instinct I will also rack up a few of the ROBIN relatives, going back to maybe Robert.

:)

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 03:33 BST (UK) »

I have Jane and her siblings living with my granny in AYR, 1861 census.

This gathering was a gene goldmine (gran ran a finishing school of sorts, but it (1861) looks more like an orphans collection !) and I can see a Jessie PARK (aged 16) living there too !

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 04:44 BST (UK) »

Yes, Jane was the daughter of John NEILSON (of Oakbank) and his second wife Catherine TWADDLE.

She had two sisters, Catherine and Margaret and one brother Walter.

Jane was not followed on, because of the common name.  :-\

Amazing the way I found Catherine Neilson ROBIN was the same as her first cousin Catherine Neilson PATON also born 1870 ish !

But anyhow, I have opened her (Jane) file now and await any information you feel like passing on. esp any certs of the early years.

As is my normal hunting instinct I will also rack up a few of the ROBIN relatives, going back to maybe Robert.

Catherine Neilson Robin (1871-1954) was my Grand-aunt my grandfather's sister. She lived in Nairn then Dornoch, Scotland after her second husband died. I have a copy of Jane Neilson's birth record which is interesting and beautifully penned in old legal script. She died in Crab Orchard Springs, Lincoln County, Kentucky. I was trying to locate where she could be buried. Was Jane Neilson's grandfather Wm Twaddle employed by John 'Oakbank' Neilson? She lived at Oakbank lodge before marriage. The Neilson's were prolific much like the Robin family. This all fascinates me!
Rosegum has got me reviewing all the docs that I have collected so my head is spinning with names, dates and places.
Talk soon got to go,
K
Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
               Meikljohn, Eltze.

...if I don't make haste, I shall have to go back through the looking-glass...back into the old room-and there'd be an end of all my adventures! .

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 05:31 BST (UK) »
Yes it appears the TWADDLEs were servants and Catherine got lucky !  :-X

or that Catherine got her siblings, jobs at the NEILSON houses.

have not looked at the TWADDLEs for a while, so will refresh all the info in a few days.

But I will leave this thread for you ROBINs and contact you privately in regards to NEILSON stuff.

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 06:01 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
Sorry I ran off so quickly. I had a call from my son. He is the only person that I will drop everything for :)
Great! Well I wish I would get lucky with the California Lottery then I could spend all my time at this crazy addiction of 'genealogitis'!

K
Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
               Meikljohn, Eltze.

Offline SamuelMary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 January 20 19:39 GMT (UK) »
I think that Catherine Neilson the second wife of John may have been living at the Summerlee iron foundry in 1881. There is a woman of that name and the correct age listed as a widow sharing a home with three other workers. As John and his son Walter were original co-founders of Summerlee and Walter an executor of John's estate and Catherine was left a small stipend of £25 pa in John's will it's possible she is his widow.