Author Topic: Darling of Duns  (Read 10073 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Darling of Duns
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 December 12 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thank you, this is starting to be real!
I haven't found any baptism information for Isabella. The information about who her parents were came from ‘The people of Prestonkirk’ book by Diane D McNicoll which is a compilation of the 1851 census information. On the marriage details from Scotlands People Mathew Waite was a husbandman from Wittingham Northumberland and Esther Cummings was from Duns. I have just been told that they married in Edrom on 13/11/1840 and then repeated their vows on the same day in Langton so both churches must have been important to them and their families. I am working my way back through each generation detailing the extended family but I haven't been able to find any siblings or evidence of where Isabella lived before her marriage. I am learning, but find the bits before the 1841 census a bit of a struggle at the moment. Thank you so much for all of this help, I am told that all researchers get favourite ancestors and Sibbella is mine so I want to know more about her.
Off now to explore these new leads
Alison

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 December 12 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Usually the two marriages would be two sets of Banns read out in the parishes bride and groom were staying.  Perhaps Matthew was living in Edrom at the time of marriage.

I have seen Diane's book, it is very helpful.

Barbara

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison,
Happy New Year.
This may be another little step forward:
go to familysearch.org, enter Wait in surname box [no first name]; enter parents Matthew Wait and mother Easter Cummings, this will bring up a Sarah Wait b 1815, christened 9 Nov 1815, Branton, Northumberland. This was surely a sister or could it be Isabella's other name? There don't seem to be any other siblings born in that area that I have found yet.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 11:06 GMT (UK) »
What can I say, I am always astonished at the generosity of other researchers with their time and knowledge. It was wonderful to see Esther and Mathew listed as parents to Sarah on Family Search and then again on the 1841 census. I can't believe that finally I am finding out about Sibella's family. I have been putting all sorts of combinations of these names into every site I can but haven't managed to come up with anything on my own. This is a brilliant way to start my second year of searching and I can't wait to find out more.
Happy New Year and thank you Rae, Barbara and Terry

Offline JOK20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 April 23 20:56 BST (UK) »
A long time after the earlier posts, I have a Jean Wait b. 1724 who married a David Darling b. 1718.
David was born in Duns and Jean in Eccles, Berwickshire