Author Topic: lm a little stuck  (Read 5278 times)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: lm a little stuck
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 February 10 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It looks like William ATKINS married Jane DAVISON Dec Qtr 1861 Eastry Reg Dist Vol 2a Page 1257

I can't see where the name FASSOMS comes from but all the censuses from the 1871 have a variation of it. In the 1871 census there is also a son George DAVISON who is probably Janes before her marriage.  Its puzzling because all the kids I've checked were registered as ATKINS/ATTKINS right back to Charles in 1862.

I did wonder whether William was illigitimate and his parents surnames were ATKINS and FASSOMS.

Andy

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 February 10 15:56 GMT (UK) »
William Fassoms born c 1836 shows up in Thanington, Kent in 1841 with father William;

William Fassoms 30 ag lab
Elizabeth Fassoms 25
Eliza Fassoms 7
William Fassoms 5
Sarah Fassoms 2

all born in Kent

and in 1851 (transcribed as 'Furman') in Tilmanstone

William Fassoms W 40 ag lab                            Kent  U K [unknown]
Eliza Fassoms daur 17                                       Tilmanstone
William Fassoms som 13    ag lab                      Tilmanstone
Sarah Fassoms   daur  11                                    Tilmanstone
Jane Fassoms    daur  8                                     Tilmanstone

[An Elizabeth Fassoms died in Eastry distict in 1846]

A birth of Sarah Elizabeth Fasoms was registered in Eastry district in June Q 1839, and of Jane Fassoms in September Q 1843. 
There are corresponding baptisms at Tilmanstone shown on the IGI (Sarah Elizabeth shows up with surname 'Tassams'), showing the parents as William and Elizabeth.

It might be interesting to get one of the birth certificates to see what Elizabeth's maiden name is.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline x maz x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 February 10 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you perth tiger, garstonite, winston, carol8353, andycand & Galium. I have taken on board all that you have written and found it very useful, I think personally that the person who ordered the certificate ordered the wrong reference numbers. On the Tilmanstone parish records of the census 1851 there is a family of Fulssom of Three Colts, Upper Street which I am sure is Eliza's father, I will need to get information from the parish records: there are a few William Fassoms in Kent which makes it more difficult to trace.

Once again thank you, if you have any information how to get the parish records of Woodnesborough, Eastry & Tilmanstone, I would be grateful as the Ancestry sites have not got much on these villages and there are a lot of surname variants.

Thanks
Maz

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 February 10 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maz,

Personally I don't think you do have the wrong birth certificate, as andycand has said and I agree none of Eliza's siblings have been registered under Fasoms or variants, but they can be found under Atkins/Attkins.

It may be worthwhile getting the marriage cert of William Atkins to Jane Davison in 1861, of course it may well be that there is no fathers name listed next to William, but there may be other clues, if it shows his address at the time of marriage or from the witnesses.

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 February 10 10:27 GMT (UK) »
There is a family tree on A******y, that has this family with the surnames Atkins, and a christening date of 14 May 1837 in Tilmanstone.  Interestingly William's parents are still listed as William and Eliza (nee Potts) Fassom.  On the notes for the christening it states "christened as William Fassom".

If you are unable I could make contact and bring this thread to the attention of the tree owner.

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 February 10 11:03 GMT (UK) »
There is a downloadable document (cost £3.50) on the National Archives with reference to "volunteering on 17 Feb 1854", it is listed under the Admiralty Board.  The date of birth for William is 14 Apr 1837, which would fit in nicely with the christening a month later!

The link is: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search/search_results.aspx?st=q&queryText=william%20fassom&aqgQueryText=william%20fassom&queryType=ALL

Kath

Offline x maz x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 February 10 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath,

Yes your right & sorry it has taken a little while to reply, l have been to the library to look at the parish records, l have the marriage of William Atkins to Jane Davison in October 1861 in staple, Williams fathers surname being William Atkins, l will need to go back to see if l can read the banns for any addresses. l also stumbled across the marriage of Mary Jane Atkins in May of 1893, which was their daughter, Mary's has gone to sign and put Mary Jane Fass Atkins, but crossed out the Fass part, its still a mystery as to why the name change, l still have no idea.

Offline b1b2j3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 09:30 BST (UK) »
England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915
about Frederick James Burden
Name: Frederick James Burden
Year of Registration: 1889
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Lewisham
County: Greater London, Kent, London