Author Topic: Thomas Carney c1862 Wicklow?  (Read 4637 times)

Offline Tierneylass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Carney c1862 Wicklow?
« on: Saturday 13 February 10 03:41 GMT (UK) »
I have a Thomas Carney(gas stoker)  appearing in my family tree in the 1911 Census in Hulme Manchester living with John Tierney (shoemaker) and his family. Thomas has a daughter Elizabeth c1891 she being born liverpool lancs but he states Wicklow? He is a widower. If anyone has any ideas on how to trace both him and his connection to my Tierneys - as they are proving elusive to trace also, i would be very grateful. John Tierney and his brother Samuel c1875 both state birth as Liverpool? John has a father called Michael according to his marriage cert. If anyone has any connections or clues please advise as i am a novice at this....

thanks lads
DUTTON/Hulme
TIERNEY /Liverpool and Hulme
MARGERISON/MARGERSON/Glossop
WADDELL/Liverpool and Hulme
WAKEFIELD/Stockport
HURST
CARNEY/Liverpool and Manchester
ELLA/Yorkshire and Manchester

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Carney c1862 Wicklow?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 February 10 10:04 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 census record should state relationship to head of household (relative, visitor, boarder, lodger, etc.).
Who was Thomas Carney's wife? her maiden name might explain a possible connection to Tierneys.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Tierneylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 February 10 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The Census states he(widowed) is brother in law presume to the Head John Tierney...I thought i had found  a matchfor a sister of John  with a Martha Tierney in Liverpool but apparently her marriage cert states her father is  a John Tierney and John Tierney states his father is a Michael arghh but everything else matches i.e. the age of Martha and Thomas Carneys daughter Elizabeth to this Elizabeth? Also Thomas states he has had 13 children, 11 deceased 2 still living in 1911!! A tragic loss maybe that will ring a bell with someone??

No idea where to go next have tried to find a birth or marriage match to Elizabeth ..she was 19 in 1911 and gives birth Liverpool lancs.....

thanks for advice :)
DUTTON/Hulme
WAKEFIELD/Stockport
HURST

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 February 10 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Brother-in-law could mean that Thomas' wife was connected to the Tierneys (or connected to John Tierney's wife).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Tierneylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 February 10 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Yes  that is true and that is even more of a mystery as I have now located the Marriage Cert of John and Catherine...21 years after they claim to have been married...I have traced her family and found out she abandoned 5 children!! But I have no idea who he was married to so hence cannot link them together ....BRICKWALL!! And can not find a matching Thomas Carney from Wicklow in other census so presume he never gave this address on other census? Elizabeth was born Liverpool. The only other thing i could think of is that Elizabeth Carney states she is daughter of head...but single so I am assuming its a mistake and she means Thomas as her entry is under Thomas Carney...if you follow.....

my head melted now i feel i know every Tierney/Carney family from The northwest at this stage i have looked at so many rofl

thanks again
DUTTON/Hulme
WAKEFIELD/Stockport
HURST