Author Topic: Infected file on GenesReunited  (Read 21713 times)

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Infected file on GenesReunited
« Reply #135 on: Friday 19 February 10 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Arthur would you let us know what security software you run that shows these things please?

Its obvious that some on here are getting these messages & some aren`t it may just be a case of trying to narrow things down a bit, a screen grab of the issue might help from those affected.

Steve

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Friday 19 February 10 20:42 GMT (UK) »
I'm using AVG Internet Security (the full paid-for version). I'm afraid I can't help with a screen grab, as I don't intend to go back to GR until the problem there is definitely solved.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Friday 19 February 10 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nick for reply re emails. 

I obviously had a false sense of security and will be even more careful in future.

Selina

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Friday 19 February 10 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I rarely, never really, hear my security mentioned on the boards.

F-Secure - I pay my ISP 50p per month for it.  I have been happy with it so far.

When I bought my computer it came with Norton for a year free, it actually carried on for longer but I wasn't impressed enough to subscribe after that.

So does anybody else use F-Secure and any opinions?

Selina

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Saturday 20 February 10 09:15 GMT (UK) »
I've not heard bad things about F-secure, and at £6 a year, it's a reasonable package (it costs £14 on Ebuyer).  However (there is always a however  :) ) the measure of a good AV program is not only how effective it is - it is also about how much load the program places on the computer, because it is a program, and it's running in the background all the time.  Some AV programs place so much load on the PC that you can notice a big difference when you remove them - the computer becomes much more responsive.  I use Eset Smart Security 4 - this isn't cheap at £39.95 a year, but I think the security of my personal data is worth that, and it does work better than other products.  The package includes full firewalling, AV detection, heuristic threat detection, email scanning, and spyware detection.  Eset uses "pre-compiled code" which basically means that it places a smaller load on the PC.

Eset Smart Security 4 only uses about 48MB of the computer's memory when running.  In independent tests by AV-Comparatives.org (an independent Austrian research lab)  Eset Smart Security and Eset NOD32 AV heuristic detection detected 68% of threats, compared to only 27% by AVG.  And, in tests, Eset Smart Security and Eset NOD32 have never let an "in the wild"* virus slip through, compared to 35 by Kaspersky, 71 by MacAfee, and a whopping 745 by AVG !  :o

* An "in the wild" virus is a newly-released virus whose signature does not appear on any virus database.  Virus checkers work in two ways - (1) they compare files against databases of known virus signatures (data strings), and (2) they analyse the virus to try to gauge if it is a threat - this is called heuristic checking.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mongoose2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Saturday 20 February 10 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Some techie can explain better than I about emails however I understand that most email packages enable you to turn off HTML on emails which, as I understand it, turn of all links. This means all emails will be in plain text only.

Barry
James, Farr in Cornwall and all the others on my website

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Saturday 20 February 10 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's correct.  Many companies automatically turn HTML emails into text to avoid threats, because it makes life easier for IT staff.  Modern HTML coding doesn't just expose the recipient to the risk of following bogus links, but the HTML coding itself can also pose a threat.  Having said that, it's much nicer to install a decent protection program and retain the variety offered by HTML emails, in the same way that it's much nicer to wear a seat belt than to go everywhere at 10MPH  :)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline taidgazacaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Friday 19 March 10 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Since following this thread, I haven't bothered to open anything from Genes.

Does anyone know whether it is now safe to do so?

Tecwyn ???
Savage, Hoskins, Wigley, Edwards, German, Jacks

Offline ambers

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Friday 19 March 10 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I have been using it for weeks without any problems ;D

Ambers
GLAMORGAN: Evans. Davies. Eddy. Bradnum.
GLAM to USA:Walter H Davies 1886.Thomas J 1852
PEMBROKE: Bradnum.Summers
CARMARTHENSHIRE:Davies. Jones
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.
DEVON:Mallett. Acford, Kidston.Short.Lover.Edwards,Telford.Sparrow
SOMERSET: Masey
CORNWALL:Eddy.Thomas Maddern.Harvey. Noy.Reynolds,Batten,Curtis.
Cornwall to USA: Thomas, Semmens. Oats
Warwickshire: Mountney