Author Topic: Inverurie  (Read 2214 times)

Offline tulipoo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Inverurie
« on: Saturday 13 February 10 20:06 GMT (UK) »
I am posting this in the hope that someone from Inverurie may visit
the site who  remembers a lady named Euphemia Mary Yuill (m/s Fowler)
She was my aunt who was born in Aberdeen in 1894 and died in Woodend
Hospital, Aberdeen in 1976.  Her home at this time was 43, North Street,
Inverurie.  She was the widow of John Sutherland Yuill.
Also, if anyone is interested my particular branch of the Fowler family
were from Culsalmond, Inverurie, Aberdeen, Glasgow.  Many migrated to
Canada and USA.
An Alexander Fowler and Ida Laing lived in Inverurie.  They had 11 children,
of whom 8 died in infancy.  Descendants of the three surviving children are
in USA.
Should anyone want to know more just send me a message.
Ian

Offline Countryquine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Inverurie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 April 12 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hello

I know this is an old post but just wondered if I did in fact know the lady you are speaking about.   Unfortunately if it is the same lady, I don't know much about her.  I attended Inverurie Academy from 1969 to 1975.   During our 3rd or 4th year there we were given the opportunity to do some community work. I and another girl visited an old lady who lived in a house in North Street.   I was sure her name was Effie (Euphemia).   She lived in the upper floor of the house, which you accessed by climbing external stairs.  She had a son, Billy, who, if I remember correctly, was a patient at Ladysbridge Hospital in Banff.  The houses where this lady lived were demolished and new housing built.   I go past them and still remember her.

Offline tulipoo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 April 12 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Good to hear from you.
Yes, the lady you mentioned is the one, she did have a son
Billy and a son called Ian.
I would love to hear what else you recall and I will drop you a line later.
So good of you to reply.
Best wishes,
Ian

Offline Dobsie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 April 20 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Tulipoo
I am currently doing research into Euphemia Mary Yuill.
Her son Ian was my father. I have traced Euphemia back to Queenstown (now Cork) in the Republic of Ireland. Her maiden name was Fowler. I am having trouble getting birth records for Irish parishes and wondered if you have managed to find  anything.
Regards
Robin

Offline tulipoo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 April 20 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Dobsie, ref Euphemia Yuill.
Most if not all of my Fowler info has been lodged with Garioch Heritage Society, in Inverurie.
They may be able to help you.
As far as I was aware Effie was born in 1894 in Aberdeen.
I believe we were in contact some time ago,any chance you have my email?
If not, I am happy to send it to you, against all advice.
Hear from you. I will search some old discs I have which might contain some info.
Do keep in touch,
Regards,
Ian

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 April 20 12:19 BST (UK) »
I've had a quick look at this, and on the face of it I cannot see any obvious evidence of an Irish connection. Where did you come across that?

The death index listing of Euphemia Mary Yuill in 1976 says that her other surname was Davidson and her mother's maiden surname was Fowler. She was 81, which if accurate gives a birth year of 1894/1895.

There is no birth listing of Euphemia Mary Yuill in Aberdeen in 1894, or indeed anywhere else in Scotland at any time. There is a birth of Euphemia Mary Fowler, daughter of Samuel Davidson Fowler and Grace Turner Fowler, maiden surname Proudfoot, in Aberdeen in 1894. In the 1901 census this family is at Gracemount, Culter, Peterculter.

Samuel Davidson Fowler was born on 11 July 1861 in Culsalmond, Aberdeenshire, son of Alexander Fowler and Mary Sim, who were married in Culsalmond in 1843. I can't find a death. Both his parents were born in Aberdeenshire, Alexander in Inverurie and Mary in Culsalmond.

Grace Turner Proudfoot or Fowler died in Cookney in 1916, aged 54. She was born in Leith in 1864, daughter of David Crawford Proudfoot and Euphemia Rogie Stewart, who were married in Kinfauns, Perthshire in 1864. There was a death notice in the Aberdeen Weekly Journal: At Muchalls, Kincardineshire, on the 16th inst, Grace Turner Proudfoot, wife of Samuel D Fowler, and eldest daughter of the late David C Proudfoot, City Surveyor. Edinburgh, aged 54 years. Both of her parents were born in Perthshire, David in Perth and Euphemia in Longforgan.

As Euphemia's grandparents were all born in Scotland in the 1820s, any Irish connection is well before the start of statutory registration.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline tulipoo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 April 20 12:49 BST (UK) »
Only Irish connection is poss connected to one of Proudfoot family members who was in Army and posted there.
Euphemia Mary Fowler b 1894 Aberdeen, mother's maiden name Grace Proudfoot.
Grace died 1918 . My father was death informant
Her husband was Samuel a solicitor. He left country about 1910, went to Canada, never returned. Died around mid 1930
Parents of Geace Proudfoot as u state.
Ask away, I will try to help, but no notes, relying on memory .