Author Topic: mental asyllum ballarat victoria COMPLETE  (Read 1616 times)

Offline freebee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
mental asyllum ballarat victoria COMPLETE
« on: Saturday 13 February 10 23:17 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for records of Florence Mabel Anthony who was in a mental asylum Ballarat from about 1936 until her death 15 July 1966. Would anyone know where it was and who would have these records. Many thanks

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: mental asyllum ballarat victoria
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 10 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
A read through the linked page afrom the Public Records Office of Victoria will help you.

You will see that records for the dates you are seeking are subject to privacy restrictions.

http://www.access.prov.vic.gov.au/public/PROVguides/PROVguide059/PROVguide059.jsp

Her burial details which I have looked at, only give us her age at death, 68, and a  burial location.  Also confirms her address as being an inmate at the Ballarat Mental Hospital.

Perhaps you already have these details.

Was she a married woman?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline freebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 10 07:13 GMT (UK) »
many thanks, were did you get the burial records from? I have the death certificate but that has her age down as 77 years. Your 68 years is the more acurate one from her date of birth. She was married but this is not recorded anywhere on her death certificate. There was an inquest held at Ballarat by the Deputy Coroner Mr W.R. Reid on the 9th August 1966. Do you think I might be able to obtain that. If so how do I go about that.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 February 10 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Again, I can only offer you a link to the PRO Victoria to advise on Inquest records.
There may be a Chatter who can give you the index number for the  records, but it requires a visit to view the details.

http://www.access.prov.vic.gov.au/public/PROVguides/PROVguide008/PROVguide008.jsp

I am surprised at the difference in her age at death between the 2 records.  My information clearly shows 68.

Here are those particulars.

BALLARAT NEW CEMETERY.

ANTHONY, Florence Mabel, Aged 68. Buried 20/7/1966. Of Ballarat Mental hospital . Location. 1 R 2 Remitted. 1 A Full.( = 1 Adult, Full)

There is an annotation OGF which means it was a burial in Open Ground as opposed to a privately paid for plot.

I was asking about her marital state merely to see if her husband was buried nearby etc.

Sue

Offline freebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 February 10 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for that information. I have sent an email off to the Victorian government office. Florence's husband and her were estranged. The only information on the death certificate is the date died, date buried, coroners name and date and last home address. One would hope we keep better records today. Beryl

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 February 10 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beryl,
Apart from the details of her time in the Institution, are you needing other information about her earlier life?

If so, there are sure to be R. chatters able and willing to help if they can :D

The details you have on the death certificate are very scant indeed!

I assume what you have is the full certificate from.......

https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=getHistIdxSearchCriteria

This link will show what one normally would find on a Victorian death Certificate.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373754.0.html

One can only guess she had become very isolated and the informant had no knowledge of her personal details.
Sue

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 February 10 05:09 GMT (UK) »
Her information from the Victorian INQUEST index states the following:

ANTHONY Florence Mabel d. 1966
Cause: Septicaemia
Reference No: 1394
Inquest Date: 9 Aug 1966

Offline freebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 February 10 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have the full death certificate, all the other headings are marked as unknown. Merlin, would that be all I would find if I got someone to go into the public records office? I was hoping it would say what her mental illness was and how long she had it. Also I wonder where the Septacaemia come from. I am pretty certain she was in the institution from around 1935, it was when she disappeared from the Electoral roll and her husband had a different address.