Author Topic: William Mark(s) & daughter Mary, Balfron Cemetery.  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Ghobhainn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Mark(s) & daughter Mary, Balfron Cemetery.
« on: Sunday 14 February 10 05:04 GMT (UK) »
Am wondering if any monumental inscriptions of graves in Balfron cemetery have been completed.

Would like to find a William Mark(s) & daughter Mary. She was born abt 1848 in Strathblane, Stirlingshire. Mary died 9 years of age, 31st of March 1857 of Dunmore Street, Balfron. Parents William Marks agricultural labourer & Sarah Marks nee Ferguson (deceased). Sarah Marks must have died not long after Mary's birth, as she isn't present on the 1851 census & William is written as a widower.

William then married Agnes Stewart on the 27th Dec 1857 at Balfron Presbyterian Church by then Minister James Robertson.

Don't know when Agnes died but William was a widower again on the 1871 census still at Dunmore Street. On the 1881 he is boarding with an Agnes Stewart housekeeper age 42 & her son John age 14. William is age 65 born Ireland, & written as an uncle, either to the Agnes or her son, obviously related to his last wife.

William died 3rd Oct 1888 at Dunmore Street written as 75, labourer & widower of Agnes Stewart. His age varied somewhat census to census, but he was living in the same place after the 1851 census.

I believe he is the same William Mark without the "s" living in the 1851 census at Strathblane. Daughter Mary was born there, but not certain about his two sons being James Mark born 1844 & John abt 1846.  The 1851 seems to read Tyrone ........ Ireland for the boys & William, but it's very hard to clearly read the place between. James & John died outside county Stirling.

James married a Marion Meiklem in 8th Dec 1868 at High Church, Paisley. Marion was from Forfar, Renfrewshire, & their residense for a while was a farm at Blantyre, & later they moved down to Carluke, Lanarkshire. James died 20th Jan 1927 age 84 at Toward, Dunoon, Argyll.

John Mark does not appeared to have married, but was a labourer in varied places on the censuses. He died 24th of Feb 1919 age 73 at 121 St. James Road, Glasgow, St. Rollox, Burgh of Glasgow.

My Mark's, I've been told were Ulster Scots, & some of them came back over to Scotland early/mid 1800's. I don't think there would be too many Marks at Balfron, but would like see if any inscriptions are available. Or perhaps someone could suggest were the MI could be obtained. Thanks LSmith.

Tyzack/Tyzick: Sheffield Yorkshire ENG,
Wishaw Lanarkshire SCOT;
Smith: Clifton Conisbrough Yorkshire ENG,
Cromarty shire & Cadder Lanark SCOT.
Firth: Doncaster & Rotherham Yorkshire ENG;
Morrison: Rutherglen & Cadder Lanark SCOT;
McGuire: Shotts West Lothian SCOT;
Mark(s): Tyrone & Antrim IRE &
Balfron Stirling, Paisley Renfrew SCOT.

Offline WilliamD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Mark(s) & daughter Mary, Balfron Cemetery.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 10 19:45 GMT (UK) »
I cannot answer your specific question, but you could try posting the query on the village website, at http://www.balfron.info as there is now a record of monumental inscriptions

William

Offline Ghobhainn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Mark(s) & daughter Mary, Balfron Cemetery.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 10 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks William D, I may join the forum post there & put down some details. I added a fair amount on this Topic to give more of the general info as well.
Regards Lindsay
Tyzack/Tyzick: Sheffield Yorkshire ENG,
Wishaw Lanarkshire SCOT;
Smith: Clifton Conisbrough Yorkshire ENG,
Cromarty shire & Cadder Lanark SCOT.
Firth: Doncaster & Rotherham Yorkshire ENG;
Morrison: Rutherglen & Cadder Lanark SCOT;
McGuire: Shotts West Lothian SCOT;
Mark(s): Tyrone & Antrim IRE &
Balfron Stirling, Paisley Renfrew SCOT.