Author Topic: KENNAUGH, Robert George Henry  (Read 6627 times)

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: KENNAUGH, Robert George Henry
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 February 10 16:20 GMT (UK) »
The   address  for   those   houses  on  3   sides  of   the   square   is    WOODBURN  SQ.   but   the   4th   side   formerly

known   as   Westview   is   on   WOODBOURNE   Road.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 February 10 16:32 GMT (UK) »
 as you point out Woodbourne Rd is one side even Stuart Slack in Streets of Douglas gives it the 'o' suggesting that this was the original spelling contracted to modern Woodburn - the name derives from Thomas Harrison's house which he named Woodbourne (in Ballaquayle quarterland) the square had east and west views and dates from 1880's - typical North Douglas 2 storey terraces with ground floor bay windows, 2 first floor windows  + small attic rooms/sky light
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 February 10 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Frances.

P

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 19:39 GMT (UK) »
I   was   reading   about  the  sinking   of   Mona's   Queen  today  in'  A  Chronicle  of  the  20th  Century '  vol  1 1901
--1950 "  Here  is   the  News " by   Terry   Cringle   written  in  recent  times  of  course  not  in  the  days  of   news
blackouts.The  ship &   crew  had  been  back &   forth   across to  Europe  for  18 days  on  hazardous  missions. The
M's Q  had  of   course a  Manx  crew---the  Captain  &  31 crew  are  shown  in a  photo of  a  lieboat although  I  don't
know how  they  managed in 90  secs!!  The   24   casualties  were  almost  all  from the  engine  room & 20   Manx
like   RGHK.
Have  you  looked  on   ManxBMD.com ???  I   did  try  IOM    births   fiche   today .  They  are  handwritten  &  hard  to
read unless  you  have  very  good  sight. Also  looked   at   1924/5  electoral  roll   for   6   Woodbourne  Sq.--- only one
available--no  Kennaughs.  In  !940  I  wonder  if  your  man  was  a lodger ???  Am  only  an  occasional  visitor to  this
Board   but   a  regular  at   BBC   Family   History   Message  Board----could  you  go  there  to   see  the   results  of
some  helpful   folk??

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Ps               BORN   IN    AMERICA   -----same   name   Voirrey  M

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 20:14 GMT (UK) »
the captain + saved crew were on deck - the lifeboats + flotation gear (designed for the 1000+ foot passengers of peacetime) floated free - there were numerous warships around - the engine room would have had no chance as probably wrecked by the mine - probably also scalded to death if any steam pipe ruptured
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Voirrey M, I will have a look at the BBC site when I get a chance.  Thanks for all of your help so far.

Phil