Author Topic: McElhinney/McElhaney - Fern Look Up  (Read 16509 times)

Offline skirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: McElhinney/McElhaney - Fern Look Up
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 01 December 21 00:42 GMT (UK) »
I have some McElhinneys from Horn Head:
-Hannah McElhinney born 1844 in Horn Head & died 1911 in Ontario: married to William Robinson
-Margaret McElhinney born 1864 in Horn Head? & died 1947 in Ontario: married to Andrew Robinson
The Robinsons were brothers & maybe the McElhinneys were sisters. The Robinsons are in my line.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 01 December 21 09:28 GMT (UK) »
I have some McElhinneys from Horn Head:
-Hannah McElhinney born 1844 in Horn Head & died 1911 in Ontario: married to William Robinson
-Margaret McElhinney born 1864 in Horn Head? & died 1947 in Ontario: married to Andrew Robinson
The Robinsons were brothers & maybe the McElhinneys were sisters.

Linking for others to the two marriages-

Margaret McElhinny married Andrew Robinson on 19th April 1887 in Trinity Parish Church, Dunfanaghy. Her father was William McElhinny, a farmer.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1887/10802/5939261.pdf

Hannah McIlhinny married William Robinson on 14th December 1869 in Ballymore Parish Church near Dunfanaghy. Again Hannah's father was William McIlhinny, a farmer.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1869/11438/8201324.pdf

William McIlhinny in Griffiths Valuation of 1857 farming in Clondahorky civil parish at Horn Head. His townland Muntermellan.
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch
https://www.townlands.ie/donegal/kilmacrenan/clondahorky/dunfanaghy/muntermellan/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline skirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 01 December 21 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you KG. Great stuff.

Offline Rosalie Ryan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 24 April 23 02:20 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

I have recently found through DNA "by accident" many matches pertaining to a...

Lillian McILHANEY b1709 Donegal d 1780 August, Virginia USA
m John Washington Reese BOWEN

Lillian's lineage leads back to
John McIlhaney b1600 Scotland d1660 Ireland and Margaret Mary McGeery bc 1610 Donegal died 1650 Ireland.
I have read that Lillian and her brother, John Henry and mother Jane (nee McGheehan)(as Mrs Hunter 2nd marriage) arrived in the USA c1698, so the connection maybe with family left behind in Ireland.
Information has been gathered by numerous Family Trees, however, no documentation.

Descendants of the above family have many DNA matches but it may be that a lot of people have been DNA tested.

I also find matches outside the above family lines to Reverend James McIlhenny bc1690 in Scotland, later resided in Donegal then to US.  Also, matches to other lines from Scotland, Donegal and Londonderry. 
It is overwhelming but sifting through and building out the trees, I have a clearer idea that my McIhenny/Mcelhaney may lie with a family member that remained in Ireland/Military.

Tracing back through my own family lines and those who lived in Northern Island leads me to a Matthew Murphy bc1793 from Saul, Downpatrick who was in Gibraltar c1829. Matthew's connection came about as a witness to military marriage of my Frances Murphy to Thomas Wroe in 1829 in Gibraltar.   I am unable at the moment to find any connection of Murphy to McIlhenny/McElhaney (and the many spellings).   It is a needle in the haystack research.

I notice that so many McIlhaneys were Military.

Anyway, just thought I would post here in the event that someone may read this later on and for me to be in the loop with everyone's posts. 

Regards
Rosalie

Currently researching:
BARKER, TODD, TAYLOR Merchants of Oldham and Culcheth
MAYER Yeoman of Gatley Cheshire
TODD family of Penrith Cumbria