Author Topic: Quinns  (Read 2606 times)

Offline 25robert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quinns
« on: Monday 15 February 10 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Here I go My Grandmother is from Derrylin in county Fermanagh .
 My grand daughters ask about my mother deceased and her mother whom came from Derrylin around the turn of the century Her name was Mary Quinn I guess there were quite a few by that name. I understand it is a common name.

My grandmother married about 1906  to Arthur Scott Crawford I think in Canada,  prov of Alberta, Calgary then moved to the USA city of Guilford, state of  Connecticut. he was in the Canadian army WWI
He is not from Ireland.

anyone familiar with this name  of the Quinns
I wish I had more information but Mom never talked a lot about the past. Family history was never talked about until the late 70"s when schools started to have kids ask questions about our families by then all my mothers relatives were gone.
Robert

Offline fermanaghroots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Quinns
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 21:54 GMT (UK) »
The Quinn surname is a very well known in this part of County Fermanagh.  You can read about Sean Quinn http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Se%C3%A1n_Quinn

Do you happen to know the townland your Mary Quinn came from?  Or even the names of brothers or sisters?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 22:44 GMT (UK) »
If your grandmother died in Connecticut her death certificate should list names of parents (if informant know the correct details). Think Ontario marriage records for early 1900s should also list parents (and might be more accurate since bride would have provided details).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline 25robert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 16:12 GMT (UK) »
About my grandmother Mary Quinn. All I know is my mother said She was from a poor Irish farm in Derrylin of county Fermanagh!
I have no records of my grandmother's relatives. I never met her she died when I was very young.
I only saw my grand father once, passing through Detroit, in the forties some time.

My mother Kathleen had two sisters Rowena and Mary. Rowena never married, Mary had one son whom I can;t locate.

My dad didn't like him because he left grand ma to fend for her self and three girls. But he couldn't find a job because he was gassed in the first war. No one kept records as to where my grand parents met

Here Is a story related to me by my mother about grand dad, My grand fathers family was very rich for the time in the 18 hd's,  His dad married an Indian girl, she became pregnant and after the baby was born my grandfathers, fathers, parents took the baby and  annulled  the marriage. When he was old enough he found the truth and went searching for his mother.
I don't think he ever found her but he never went back to his family again.

Robert