Author Topic: Parish Register Double Entry Query  (Read 1829 times)

Offline MunichDave

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Parish Register Double Entry Query
« on: Tuesday 16 February 10 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Would you take a look at the attached image and look at entry 197 & 198 for Thomas Collings.

Why would this be entered like this am I missing something?

Additional Info
Thomas was born in 1825 a bastard child to a William Thomas and Jane Collings I have the order etc.

Thank you for looking

Dave Collins

Moderator comment: image cropped.  Only small portions of such images may be posted here.
Collins, Collings,Butterworth, Briant, Jarman, Bates, Doherty, Heveron, Simpson, Whittaker.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Register Double Entry Query
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 13:48 GMT (UK) »
looks like the second one is a corrected entry - the first one having a wrong birth date and was robably corrected at the end of the month.   I too have got a corrected entry but the mistake was corrected  several pages further on at the end of the month - I had to pay for 2 documents.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline MunichDave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Rena,

Thank you but his Bastady Order is 31 July 1825 ?

It wouldnt make sense she would claim for the child one year later or would it ?

Thanks again

Dave
Collins, Collings,Butterworth, Briant, Jarman, Bates, Doherty, Heveron, Simpson, Whittaker.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 18:53 GMT (UK) »
We don't know the circumstances unfortunately.  The quarter sessions might have had a long waiting list or she might have lost her job. 

I've got one census where the spinster ancestor is a 'live in' servant in a large house and there's no mention of the baby ...... the story goes that he was hidden from the mistress of the house in the bottom drawer of a chest of drawers in the kitchen where the mistress didn't often go, but I've often wondered if she lost her job when the child started toddling and she couldn't hide him anymore.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Am I correct in thinking (from the thread title) these are parish register entries?
If so they are a year apart.

A possible reason is the first infant died and the second given the same name.
Have you checked the burial register?

It also seems strange that there were no other entries in the baptism register for a complete year, was it a tiny parish?
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 19:19 GMT (UK) »
I've forgotten what year the next entry is.  think I'd contact the archives to see if there's an addendum noted elsewhere or if they can offer an explanation.

Offline MunichDave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 19:36 GMT (UK) »
@Guy,

Heptonstall is a small village in West Yorkshire.  There is no record of a Burial I have checked this out in this Parish and others near by.

@ Moderater apologies I wanted to give the helpers as much info as possible, Sorry again.

Dave