Author Topic: Tralee Barracks  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Grumpyoldgit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tralee Barracks
« on: Tuesday 16 February 10 17:10 GMT (UK) »
I have seen an earlier posting that mentions Tralee Barracks.

My GGG Grandfather, Robert Hughes b abt 1800 was in the Wexford Militia and then the 12th Foot. His son, Robert Hughes was baptised 1/7/1838 at the Parish Church of Tralee. R.C.
Is it likely that the 12th Foot would have been stationed there at that time?  He was married in Cork in 1837 and was discharged in 1838 according the the National Archives in Kew, though i have not been able to see the records to get the detail.

I'm trying to establish whether he would have been stationed there or might have lived there briefly to start his family after being discharged.

Some records describe him as a Master Baker though I am unsure whether this would have referred to his time during or after his army service.

Bob

Offline Cliffsull

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tralee Barracks
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Tralee had one Barracks in the 1750-1820's period.
Ballymullen came later.
the Original British Barracks was located North of the current Mall in Tralee.
This can be seen on Charles Smith Map of 1756

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 21:13 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

You have just replied to a thread from 2010.

Tralee had one Barracks in the 1750-1820's period.
Ballymullen came later.
the Original British Barracks was located North of the current Mall in Tralee.
This can be seen on Charles Smith Map of 1756

The MapGenie 6 Inch First Edition (in colour) from the OSi National Townland and Historical Map Viewer shows the Infantry barracks at Ballymullen [1829-1841].

https://arcg.is/1LGGe80

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 December 23 02:36 GMT (UK) »
OP last logged on in 2011, but to answer the original question:
1835 - The 12th Foot embarked for Ireland from England. Quartered Dublin
1836  - Athlone.
1837  - Formed into 6 service and 4 depot companies. The 6 service companies embarked for
           Mauritius from Cork.
1838 - The four depot companies remaining in Ireland were now stationed in Kinsale and Tralee.
1839 - Depot companies departed for Wales.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/54054/54054-h/54054-h.htm#Page_89
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area