Author Topic: Surnames of Blair Athol  (Read 9365 times)

Offline Lonster Moon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames of Blair Athol
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 06:00 BST (UK) »
Hi.  Just found this site on my search for Moon ancestors in Blair Atholl as well.  My 3X Grandfather Daniel Moon (b. 1795) and his wife Anna Esther McDonald(MacDonald) (b. 1798) appear to be from Blair Atholl based on 3 dna matches with Duncan, Donald, Alexander, Margaret, Edwin, John, Thomas, and Joseph, Joseph William, and from Ireland Annie Elizabeth and a Seaton, etc.   I have gone as far as I can in the US and am just learning how to search Scotlands records.  This is my first hit across the pond.  Has anyone come across a Daniel Moon or Anna or Esther McDonald in their searches.  He named his son Daniel Henry(or Herbert) Moon, so Im only guessing there was a Henry or Herbert before him.  Daniel applied for naturalization in Bolton, NY in 1928 along with his brother John.  They were farmers.  Looking forward to chatting with anyone who can help and eager to get some tips on where to go from here.

Lonnie Moon

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 19:36 BST (UK) »
A Donald Moon was born in Blair Atholl parish, December 1794. Donald equates to Daniel.

Do you you have any other data for him? marriage date? parents from death certificate? was he in the army - re Ireland?

Throth (www.borenich.co.uk)

Offline Lonster Moon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Throth,
      Thankyou for replying to my post.  I did not know that Donald equates to Daniel.  He is my 3X great grandfather.  The first record I have of him is in Warrensburg, NY in the 1820 census with John Moon, who I believe was his brother.  He would then move to Bolton, NY, which was just a couple miles down the road.  His daughter Margery was born in 1823 in Bolton, NY and he applied for naturalization in NY in 1828.  He was married to Anna Esther McDonald and I think they were married before coming to the US, and a James McDonald vouched for him on his naturalization papers, who also was in the 1820 census in Warrensburg, NY.  He then later married Jemima Welch after 1836 .  He then had a daughter Esther M Moon born in 1838 in Vermont, and then Ephraim B Moon born 1840 in Vermont, and then Daniel H Moon Born 1843 in Vermont. 

Information has been tough to get.  The area they settled in Bolton was the scene of a lot of military action, indians, etc as it lies on the shore of Lake George, New York. 

Well, look forward to chattting more and thank you again for responding back.

Lonnie Moon

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 22:36 BST (UK) »
We have a three-way match, so we are fairly confident that the following refers to your ancestors:

John Moon in Clunes and Marjory Stewart in Aldandow, Glentilt, married 16 Jul 1791.

John Moon and Marjory Stewart in Clunes - George, 12 Sep 1793
John Moon and Marjory Stewart in Clunes - Donald, 12 Dec 1794
John Moon and Marjory Stewart in Clunes - John, 22 Oct 1796

The following marriages probably are the brother and sister of John Moon senior, and may help you trace the family back another generation.

Donald McDonald in Dalnamain and Margaret Moon in Clunes, married 10 Mar 1792.
George Moon in Clunes and Elspeth Stewart in Aldclune, Moulin, married 14 Dec 1794.

Here is a link to the National Library of Scotland map-room which is set to show you 'Clunes' on the first Ordnance Survey map of the area (1867).

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=56.7813&lon=-3.9920&layers=5&b=1

The toggle bar changes the view from map to current satellite view.  It's all ruins now, but if you contact us through the borenich web-site we can sent you some images of the present ruins and one of it when still in occupation.

Throth (www.borenich.co.uk)

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 23:16 BST (UK) »
Next steps......................

Use the ScotlandsPeople web-site (but don't spend any credits), just use it for searching.

Put in the surname 'Moon' and county 'Perth(shire)' and select parish 'Blair Atholl'.

If you upper limit the time-frame to 1770 this should give you 45 records on 2 pages - you are looking for a couple with children George, Margaret and Donald. At this time, men tended to marry in their late twenties and early thirties.

When you have identified the parents get back to us and we'll send you the data on the family.

You should be able to get your family back before the 1745 Jacobite Rising which, for normal Scottish families, is an achievement.  Good hunting!

Throth

P.S. 'Aldandow' in Glentilt is Allt an dubh, almost opposite Clachghlas on the NLS O.S. map

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 December 19 23:30 GMT (UK) »
We suddenly have an interest in Warrensburg, New York State.

Donald (Daniel) Stewart and Christian Moon from Blair Atholl emigrated on the 'Clarendon' September 1808 to Prince Edward Island and by 1810 they were in Warrensburg where, it is said, relatives were already living.  We notice that a John Moon is living nearly next to Donald Stewart and his family in the 1850 census.

When did the Moons from Blair Atholl arrive in Thurman/Warrensburg?
Throth