Author Topic: Llewellyn, Elizabeth  (Read 2935 times)

Offline alanasays

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Llewellyn, Elizabeth
« on: Wednesday 17 February 10 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I'm trying to trace my Great, Great Grandmother but I've hit a wall. Her name was Elizabeth Llewellyn* and she was born in Brymbo near Wrexham, North Wales in abt 1861. Trouble is, I can't find any kind of birth record, christening record, or her on any census documents for 1861 and 1871. I'm not sure of her parents or brothers and sisters names.
She married William Maddison (born 1856 Rodington, Shropshire) and they had their first child, Elizabeth, in 1885 in Beaumaris, they had another son there, John in 1887, before moving to Manchester, England and having four more children. William, Robert, Samuel and James.

I'm just having no luck at all finding out anything about her. I've tried ancestry and familysearch.org but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know of any other good channels I could use to find out some more information?
Any help would be very much appreciated!

*My Grandmother says this was Elizabeth's maiden name but it could be wrong - which might be the source of my troubles!

Part, Cafferata, Maddison, Mitchell, Turner, Slater, Lloyd, Wright, Gerrard,

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
Re: Llewellyn, Elizabeth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 04:05 GMT (UK) »
First thing I'd do is try to get copies of her children's Birth Certificates, to see whether there's any record of her maiden name.  Next, perhaps her Death Certificate - with a bit of luck, her parents may be mentioned.

:)
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello alanasays,

Have you tried doing a search for her using the Soundex system? There are many variants of the Llewellyn name and I have encountered problems with this in my own tree. I discovered that there is an Anglicised version which I hadn't realised.

Like the other post, I suspect you will need to obtain certificates to make progress. The marriage certifictae would give you her maiden name and father's name, plus details as occupation.

It is possible that her birth wasn't registered and her baptism was in a Non Conformist Chapel. The records for these are often not in public access and have been retained by the chapels.

There is quite a bit on these on Genuki at

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Brymbo

Jo

Offline maidmarion

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alana,

1891 Chorlton on Medlock, Manchester
RG12/3182/8/9
William Maddison H mar 33 coachman b.Roddington, Salop
Elizabeth " 30 b.Wrexham
Elizabeth 5 b.Beaumaris
John 4 b."
William 2 b.Manchester

I wondered if this could be the marriage  :-\
Mar 1/4 1885 Chorlton 8c 960
William Maddison to either Elizabeth Davies/Sarah Ann Davies

You should follow Deb D and Jo's suggestions and obtain the necessary certificates to confirm Elizabeth's maiden name.

maidmarion :)

Offline alanasays

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 February 10 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Thanks for your help, I'll have to have a go at getting hold of her marriage/death certificate.
I have a copy of one of her children's birth certificates but no luck with the name of his mother.
I'll look into the Davies name, thanks maidmarion and see if I have better results with that one!

Thanks for your help everyone!
Part, Cafferata, Maddison, Mitchell, Turner, Slater, Lloyd, Wright, Gerrard,

Offline maidmarion

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 February 10 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Thanks for your help, I'll have to have a go at getting hold of her marriage/death certificate.
I have a copy of one of her children's birth certificates but no luck with the name of his mother.
I'll look into the Davies name, thanks maidmarion and see if I have better results with that one!

Thanks for your help everyone!

The certificate should give mother's maiden name. If you can't read it, you could try posting it for other RC to have a go!